Braille dots

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to packaging prototyping/proofing and short-run labelling
Josh Simpson

Braille dots

Post by Josh Simpson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 am

Hi
I have the opportunity to produce a range of pharmaceutical packaging mock ups for a major client. Although I realise these are only mock ups and not functional prototypes, I want to ensure the Braille dots meet the required standard.

Does anybody have any experience with what standards for Braille exist and suggest how many passes I need to do to create the right shaped dot?
Josh Simpson
JS Design

Hugh Ryckman

Re: Braille dots

Post by Hugh Ryckman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:32 pm

There are lots of different standards depending on the material and application. The RNIB should be able to point you in the right direction. We received a comment from someone who can read Braille about a sample we printed onto an HP media Invercoat Creato 260gsm using High Quality embossing at overprint 10 to create a 0.4mm dot that it was very easy to read.

Steve Chappell

Post by Steve Chappell » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi guys, I did some work with RNIB last year and they seem a bit wooly re standards. The VersaUV are capable of producing Braille characters far superior to the finished products on supermarket shelves. There are strict guidelines around character spacing an size, less so on the actual height of the printed dot. Happy to discuss this in more detail if you would like....

Steve

Josh Simpson

Post by Josh Simpson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Josh Simpson wrote:Hi
I have the opportunity to produce a range of pharmaceutical packaging mock ups for a major client. Although I realise these are only mock ups and not functional prototypes, I want to ensure the Braille dots meet the required standard.

Does anybody have any experience with what standards for Braille exist and suggest how many passes I need to do to create the right shaped dot?
Thanks for your help guys. I think that is enough for me to start with. I have a Braille font and size/spacing guides already. Just needed to know number of passes.
Josh Simpson
JS Design