What plastic type is best to UV print on ?!

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to packaging prototyping/proofing and short-run labelling
brimaha

What plastic type is best to UV print on ?!

Post by brimaha » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Dear Forum,

I am inquiring to the forum which is the best plastic type to be used to UV print on ? I have had a demonstration at Roland in Denmark and brought along a PP plast type - the print was transeferred correctly but it was very easy to "scratch off" half an hour later, using simply my finger nail.

I am working on a new project a la smart phone cover printing and need some advise.

Anyone ?!

Thanks
BRian

vexmatech
Location: MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.

Re: What plastic type is best to UV print on ?!

Post by vexmatech » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 am

It really depends on the scale of the work you're doing. I'm primarily familiar with shorter run large format equipment when it comes to UV direct. Essentially 4'x8' beds or larger.

Roland has a nice printer with a big footprint. It has very good ink adhesion but lacks speed, and is at the lowest end of full sheet production. Mimaki would be the next logical step up. We purchased an JFX 200, which is suitable for around 4 boards per hour at the single CMYK, and White fastest print rates. They have a JFX 500 that is about 2-3 times faster. I'd suggest moving up to the Fuji Acuity family for mid-range levels of production. Beyond this you'd be quickly getting out of my area of experience. 3d printing prototyping mumbai pune chennai

Suggestions...Test materials. Take materials or send them to vendors you would like to try. Have them run tests, and give you board per hour time-frames with the settings they are showing you. Run basic scratch tests to verify that the ink is performing to your satisfaction. One eye opener for direct UV cure printers that surprised me was the fact that cutting/routing the finished product can create a chipping area that ruins an otherwise perfectly good product. Test test test. Check into primers if nothing seems to be working. 3d printing - sla technology

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Re: What plastic type is best to UV print on ?!

Post by PhillyDee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm

PVC, especially foamed stuff. I use the LEF-20 and like you say, adhesion is different per material. PVC takes print very very well.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.