Creating Profiles withi1Profiler & Versaworks

juanmata

Creating Profiles withi1Profiler & Versaworks

Post by juanmata » Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 am

Hey guys

Can anyone help me creating my own profiles with i1Profiler?

I've read the PDF's but I need someone that has successfully done it so they can hep me achieve the results.

Basically, here is my current process:

Stage 1
1: Open Versaworks / media explorer
2: Create new media and name it, then choose the template that corresponds to the media used
3: I then double click 1440 x 720dpi
4: Depending on the speed/quality, select either uni-direction or bi-direction
5: Go to the calibration tab on the left and click print settings, then click print
6: once printed, take a look and determine at what point the colours no longer go darker and mark them
7: Now go back to the calibration tab on the left and click print settings, now change the percentages to the same numbers you marked on your printout, then click print
8: Now go to the calibration tab on the left and click measure chart (You'll need to change the queue A to 110% as it won't read) calibrate and measure
9: Once done go to the calibration tab on the left and click fine tune and apply and adjust the charts so they are smooth and not jumpy
10: Now go to the Total Ink Limit tab on the left and click print chart and click print
11: Now look at the printout and mark down which colour has the most vibrancy, most likely around the 200-210% area
12: Now change the set ink limit to the same i.e. 210%
13: Click OK, OK and save

Stage 2
1: Open i1Profiler and click advanced
2: Click Printer and under device selection, choose CMYK Printer (If your printer has more than 4 colours i.e CMYK lk lm lc wh then choose CMYK + 3)
3: Then click profiling and use the following settings: Patches: 2033, Scramble Patches: 0, Patch Weighting: 0, Total Ink Coverage: 400, Linearisation file: None

First question, should the Total Ink Coverage be the same as the versaworks setting i just saved i.e. 210%

4: Click test chart at the bottom
5: Select ipro2, Paper Size: A4, Patch Layout: Default, Units: mm.
6: Click Save as and save as a PDF
7: Add the charts to Queue A (remember to turn off the 110%)
8: Nest the 4 charts and open the print settings for that job
9: Go to the Layout take and get media width
10: Go to the Quality Tab and select your new media you've just created, choose High quality and under colour management, choose Density Control Only
11: Print the charts
12: Leave the charts to dry for a few hours
13: Go back to i1Profiler
14: Click Measurement at the bottom and click calibrate
15: Leave measurement mode Duel Scan selected, Printer information: CMYK Printer, Paper Information: (Add your paper type i.e. Banner)
16: Now start scanning your patches, this can take about 30 minutes to do
17: Click ICC Profile at the bottom and click Create and Save

Stage 3 (Not done this part yet as I couldn't get my profile to save)
1: Copy the profile to your versa works
2: Open Versaworks / Media Explorer
3: Choose your new media
4: Double click on the dpi's (change one at a time) and go to the tab Profile Settings on the left hand side
5: Click Select profile and choose your new profile
6: Click ok, ok and save
7: Done.

Second question. Do I need to do stage 1 for all dpi options or can i just do the one that will print out the best result i.e. 1440 x 720 uni-direction and change the other dpi settings to reflect the same ink percentages etc?

Can anyone add or edit this guide with the correct process if I have missed or some of the settings aren't right.

Thanks

john2880

Re: Creating Profiles withi1Profiler & Versaworks

Post by john2880 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 am

juanmata wrote: once printed, take a look and determine at what point the colours no longer go darker and mark them
That is a bad way to do it.
1) Scan printed patches with i1 and find a patch with highest Chroma (LCh values) for C,M,Y.
You can use xrite i1 profiler (after ver 1.6) or free xrite colorport and demo version of babelcolor patch tool to do that.
2) After you find patch with highest chroma value (for example 80% patch for cyan) check chroma values for lower density patches.
This time watch delta error value for chroma compared to patch with highest chroma. Pick a lower density patch with delta error for chroma around 1,5-2,0. (for example 70% cyan).
This way you found optimal ink limit. It is better that using an eye.
3) Check if this patch is printed correctly (no ink dripping). If it is printed correctly set this as a ink limit. If not pick lower density patch.
4) Repeat this procedure for C, M, Y. For black check for Lightness values instead of Chroma. On most gloss media K should be around Lightness 8-15.
juanmata wrote: Click Printer and under device selection, choose CMYK Printer (If your printer has more than 4 colours i.e CMYK lk lm lc wh then choose CMYK + 3)
If your printer use light cyan, light magenta, light black it is still 4 color printer.
If you have extra colors like orange, blue, red, green it will be CMYK + number of extra colors.
juanmata wrote: Second question. Do I need to do stage 1 for all dpi options or can i just do the one that will print out the best result i.e. 1440 x 720 uni-direction and change the other dpi settings to reflect the same ink percentages etc?
You must set correct ink limit for every print resolution. They will be different or at least should be different for most cases.

juanmata

Post by juanmata » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi

Bit of a delay here sorry.

Do you read the M0, M1 or M2 values?

revolution-digital
Location: The Factory, North Avenue, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3QX

Post by revolution-digital » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi

I have a free place on the course next week please follow the link and mention Revolution and the Roland Forum.

http://www.digital2business.co.uk/digit ... d-workshop

Kind regards

Jan
Kind Regards

Jan

revolution-digital.co.uk
01530 510080

proud to be a Roland reseller

john2880

Post by john2880 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

juanmata wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:35 pm
Do you read the M0, M1 or M2 values?
The best way is to use M1 readings when profiling media with lots of OBA.
However M0 readings often gives very similar results and its twice faster with i1 PRO2.

For medias with none or very low OBA it doesn't matter so use default M0.