Versa Works Dual / Roland TrueVis VG-540 / Profiles?

clearpoint

Versa Works Dual / Roland TrueVis VG-540 / Profiles?

Post by clearpoint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since i last looked or posted on here so i hope everyone is doing ok?

We have recently had a NEW Roland TrueVIS VG-540 installed into our factory, upon looking over the software, once it was installed, i was looking over the profiles included and there is not many options in there compared to the older version of VersaWorks.

Also, upon finding this out, i asked the installer about downloading NEW profiles for our printer, we was told that there is not any yet due to the machine and ink being so new, is this correct? We sometimes print onto Window Cling material and i know for a fact that we had to use a special profile on the last VersaWorks otherwise it would spread the colours and also the colours looked nothing like they should unless the specific profile for Window Cling was used.

Can someone please clarify for me any profiles for White Perm, Clear Perm, White Window Cling, Clear Window Cling, Mirri Paper (Gold or Silver), Paper & Banner Grade PVC. Am i to use the standard Generic profiles which i kept away from on the old version of VersaWorks due to colour issues. Also, what Colour Management Preset would people use on these stocks too? We mainly do stickers and on our old VersaWorks we were told by the service engineers to use Sign & Display as this bring out the colours more, more colour definition yet the installer on this new machine said that was rubbish and we should use Pre-Press Europe. Conflicting advice, due to there being no way of Calibrating the Roland like our Epson eg GMG Colour Matching & Calibrating, again we have been told this a few times by engineers and installers.

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

Phil.

clearpoint

Re: Versa Works Dual / Roland TrueVis VG-540 / Profiles?

Post by clearpoint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi All,

I have found a place called the Roland Profile Centre, never heard of it before, anyway it seems i was told some Fake News, there seems to be quite a few profiles on there, problem i have now is figuring out which profiles go with what material as we do not use any of the material on the list.

What do you guys and gals use for your materials if you can not find an accurate profile that matches the make of material? What do some companies call Window Cling as i can not figure out a name that goes with this material.

Any help would be appreciated and many thanks for reading.

Phil.

clearpoint

Post by clearpoint » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi All,

Well it looks like i have figured out these few problems, it seems that the EU website for Roland Profiles is different to the US version of the same name, there are so many different profiles on the US version, also there are Cling Profiles so i can now finally print our Window Cling jobs properly from now on.

I hope this helps someone else out there.

Phil.

revolution-digital
Location: The Factory, North Avenue, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3QX

Post by revolution-digital » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Phil

It is good to hear that you were advised to to use Pre Press Europe, Sign and Display increases the colour saturation not always in a balanced way. Photos will be unnatural looking. However Pre Press Europe is also using an old profile and needs to be updated to at least iso_coated_v2. Its simple to do. If you would like to know how and how to maintain the colour consistency of your printer and create your own profiles, then please consider attending my VersaWorks advanced course:

http://www.digital2business.co.uk/digit ... d-workshop.

We have the Roland VG-540 CMYKLCLKW and the LEF-200 onsite used for the presentation.

Your Roland is capable of a Fogra 39 pass with Antalis Coala solvent paper using ColorGate rip software!
Kind Regards

Jan

revolution-digital.co.uk
01530 510080

proud to be a Roland reseller

clearpoint

Post by clearpoint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, i am a bit lost with your words, are you telling me that we should be using Pre Press Europe? I have been advised to use Sign & Display?

Sounds like your wanting to just sell us lessons on your advanced course?

I find these days that these courses are not thought out, why do people insist on doing courses when we have to work? Does training not come from Roland any more so you do not have to do courses? When you find out they do, you have to pay for them or travel to Bristol to do a course, paying for digs, travel etc, companies do not live within the real world these days. How can you be prepared to pay out more mnoney after paying for a machine to go on a course that is miles away from your location?

As for making profiles with VersaWorks, i have no idea, again there should be lessons online where you can do these once you have purchased your machine rather than charging you again.

From what you have put, it is a different language to me, Colorgate RIP? I have Versaworks so why purchase another RIP?

revolution-digital
Location: The Factory, North Avenue, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3QX

Post by revolution-digital » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi

You missed the offer for a free place on the Versaworks advanced course which completed today. (See training post) we are trying to provide good value training that is often overlooked. Installers can't cover everything in the short time available in a one day setup. Colorgate is just a more advanced chargeable rip that will run Roland HP Mimaki and many other printers from one system. It suits companies with mixed printer environments or where very accurate colour is required. Having control of your own media profiles and being able to use software to monitor printer performance for some people is a vital part of the production process. We are based in Leicester where are you?
Kind Regards

Jan

revolution-digital.co.uk
01530 510080

proud to be a Roland reseller

clearpoint

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am

Hi,

Sorry if my last post sounded a bit negative, since we have had this machine installed, all we keep getting is offers of training courses away from work, we are only a small printers, a one man operating the repro side of things who controls the Roland and everything else so taking a few days training would mean no production at all which can not be possible, obviously.

When we had the machine installed, alot of the functions were not gone through simply as the installer did not know what they did, trial and error was his words.

It is a sad place where when your wanting training, you have to travel miles to get training from the suppliers of the machines, we were told we are entitled to 2 days of training, problem is they are in Bristol at Roland HQ, lets just down tools and spend a fortune getting accomadation, travel, food etc for 2 days of free training, not free after all if we have to fork out all that amount.

We can not afford a NEW rip, colours are obviously important but after spending thousands on this printer, we can not justify buying a new rip esp when Versa Works is provided, you can create profiles from there?

So i take it then your trying to push the Colourgate RIP software then? No one gives things away for nothing in todays world?

clearpoint

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm

BTW, your course costs money, it states £75 per person so your offer must have been via a special you were having? This is why i mentioned costs, i would also have to find a laptop to bring with us too as it states we require a laptop with Versa Works on also?

Do not get me wrong, sounds a great idea and i would have loved to have attended however it comes back to the point of money and costs, with so many businesses going out of business atm, esp the printing industry, i bet you do not get many offers for this training? If you do, i bet they are companies with lots of money and many staff on their books?

Plus, you do sound like a sales man too trying to sell on Colourgate RIPs lol.