Continuous Numbering via Versaworks?

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Continuous Numbering via Versaworks?

Post by clearpoint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if you can do continuous numbering on the Versaworks RIP? If so, is there any advice or information on how to do this please?

We have a customer who is wanting the same sticker being printed but for it to be numbered differently over every sticker eg 001 - 100.

Can this be done within VersaWorks?

Phil.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Continuous Numbering via Versaworks?

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi,

I watched this video and have to say it is not the easiest video to follow, it gives you the basics but what about if your asked to do thousands of stickers with different numbers on? What is the capacity of numbers it can hold?

Why was this not given as training when the machine was installed? Or is it a case of we would have known this IF we went to the training in Bristol which we can not get too? The installer did not know about this function and said we would probably not use it so we were told not to worry about it, typical lol.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Hiya,

Yes all of the information is covered on the Intermediate Course delivered at Roland HQ.
It is very hard to cover all aspects of the machine and software in a single day/installation session - hence why we offer the additional training to get you fully up to speed after you have had a chance to play around and find out what you don't know :ugeek:
There is so much you can do with any of our print devices, it is a continuous learning process that we aim to help with as much as possible.

With variable data, you can do 250 increments/numbers/options etc. in one go. So if you need to do 1000's you will just need to export a few spreadsheets in multiples of 250, and send them as separate jobs.

Hope this helps!
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Many thanks for the reply,

Yet again, "we offer the additional training to get you fully up to speed", i will reply the same as i do to all Roland HQ people i have dealt with, it is NOT possible to get to these training days, not everyone can afford the travel, accomodation and time to do these lessons, why can't Roland do some video's or hire a place more local to people up north rather than having to make people travel to you?

There has to be a better way of servicing your clients surely?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:07 pm

clearpoint wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm
There has to be a better way of servicing your clients surely?
It's not as much Roland's business as it is the dealer's. We provide full training with every purchase plus unlimited 24/7 remote support.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Really?

Why is it then when i contact the supplier of our machine, i am told to contact you guys?

Please understand why i keep stating this training issue, how can a huge company with vast pockets always expect their clients to come to see them? Why is training in a place that is so far away from alot of your customers?

No one seems to undertsand that some people just can not afford to travel etc.

We live in a time of the internet so why is there no video's out there other than cleaning your machine or the very basics? Why do you not do web seminars from your previous workshops? Offer them to customers, surely that is a good customer support within itself?

As for "It's not as much Roland's business as it is the dealer's", i have tried my dealer, i was told a call back but it never happened, when i chased it up, i was told there was no technicians, i am still waiting for a Roland call back, been waiting in all for over 4 hours for a phone call, whether it be our supplier of the machine or Roland itself, now is that customer service?

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi clearpoint,

We offer the training courses at our HQ (at present) as it is a fantastic environment for people to learn and see first hand a huge array of applications etc. in our Creative Centre and dedicated training facility, unfortunately-as you can imagine, it is not possible to have these centres all over the country :|

We do have many other channels for those that may not be able to get down to visit us, such as YouTube, social media sites, a very knowledgeable technical support team and of course this forum. We also run events at exhibitions and trade shows as well as with our dealers.
With the Academy we are always looking for ways to increase access to content, and improve the services we offer and so your feedback is valued.
These things take time to develop, but we are working towards a stronger online presence at present...watch this space so to speak :P
I realise that may not help you directly at this time, but rest assured that we are here to help you.

For local support you can always speak to your supplier/dealer as they often have events and support in house, but we are also here to support you.

You mentioned web seminars etc, perhaps if you would like to put together some questions or a list of topics I could spend an hour with you in an online meeting/webinar?

Cheers, Joe.
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Post by clearpoint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Joe,

I will try and put together a few questions over the next few weeks that would help due to the fact that getting to these training days are not an easy thing to do as explained earlier.

It is just very frustrating being told the same thing time and time again about these training days when you know it is not possible to get to, Bristol is quite far away from where we are based plus not productive while i am away from my job.

Many thanks for your reply, this is now going away from the original topic of Variable printing, i am going to try and find a few video's over the weekend to learn as much as i can due to wanting to know the best way and affordable way of doing this type of work, i keep getting told i need more software in order to make this possible yet i have been told you do NOT need to buy any more software other than having Versaworks, Illustrator and the horrid Microsoft Office.

Many thanks for your time and replies.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm

You do not necessarily NEED more software, but as with anything there may be software that makes processes easier or quicker. VersaWorks does variable data, and you can do the designs for it in Illustrator and the content in Excel...so you should be set.
Check your inbox for a PM on here, I have sent you a message which should help with any further issues.
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd