VersaWorks Weekly Tip - Variable Data

Kai Perry

VersaWorks Weekly Tip - Variable Data

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:39 pm

This is a great feature which can save you a lot of design time.

If you have a job which has the same design but different elements such as text or images, then you may be able to produce just one template and use this feature. (An example of this would be a name badge, where the company details stay the same but the photo and name changes for every individual.)

All you need to do is design your template, then create your variable data fields.

To achieve this, firstly create spot colours for each required field. The spot colour must be named starting VDP_ the text after this can be anything (for instance VDP_Name), next draw rectangles for the desired fields and then assign the defined spot colour as the outline colour for each field. (There is a limit of twenty fields per template)

Next you need to choose how to create the data, either just enter the data straight into VersaWorks or create the data in a spreadsheet and then save the file as either a .txt or .csv file. (There is a limit of 250 entries per file)

Either way, open the file into VersaWorks, then in the job settings, select the last tab which is Variable Data, if the file has been designed correctly, the Enable Variable Data Printing checkbox can be checked, do this and then populate your data to your fields.

You can then choose what fonts and other settings you want to apply to the data and can preview every entry before selecting the layout tab and running through the normal settings for the job.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Rob Goleniowski

Re: VersaWorks Weekly Tip - Variable Data

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Kai

Is the a VDP how to guide on the Roland website?

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
Follow me: @goleniowski

EricT

Post by EricT » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 am

I used this for some badges I had to print recently - 50 different badges with photographs - and it saved me so much time! I love this feature!

Eric

Tom King
Silver Member

Post by Tom King » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 am

Rob, yes there is a guide for setting up the Variable Data Printing in VersaWorks available on our web site. You can find it here.
Tom King
Technical Support Advisor
Roland DG UK Ltd
www.rolanddg.co.uk

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

Good work Tom!
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
Follow me: @goleniowski

Shiori

Post by Shiori » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:11 am

Hi,

Just quick question for variable data. Does it have to be rectangle shape or can it be something like line to have text on?
I'd like to make round shape and name inside, so text is not lined up on the straight line.
I'd appreciate your help!

Aloha,
Shiori

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 pm

No, just a rectangle as a bounding box and horizontal alignment.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

LindseySW

Post by LindseySW » Tue May 13, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm struggling with this! I have used VDP before without a problem but not for a while. Re: Kai's original post "Either way, open the file into VersaWorks, then in the job settings, select the last tab which is Variable Data, if the file has been designed correctly, the Enable Variable Data Printing checkbox can be checked, do this and then populate your data to your fields."... Versaworks lets me tick the checkbox and shows the variable data field if I click on that option... it just doesn't show me the icons for importing a file or entering data? I am using Version 5.1.1 and have tried with a pdf and an eps with the same result. Have also tested using a previously working file but the icons are not appearing on that either?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed May 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Do the fields show ?

It could be down the naming, upload the file so we can test it.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

ratu

Post by ratu » Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Im also having some difficulties with VW. If I make a file with 1 VDP field everything is ok, but if I add a second field then VW wont recognize variable data at all. Then if I delete the first field and save file with that second added field then it works again. I tried to make the fields in same layer and also in separate layer. So any ideas what is going wrong here?

File:
http://ratu.kuvat.fi/vdp_lfc.eps