Which Ink technology?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to window graphics, window display and point-of-sale
Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Which Ink technology?

Post by Adam Wyles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Evening everyone, I am just after an opinion from you all of whether you use/prefer/think is best for printing window graphics. Do you think Eco Solent or UV and for whichever one you prefer - why. Personally I prefer Eco Solvent but would love someone to give their choice or view?

Any takers?

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Rob Goleniowski

Re: Which Ink technology?

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Evening Ad,

Hope you are well.

Personally, I like the UV as you get a slightly better density so the colours are really vivid and punchy. That's not to say that the Eco-Solvent is also good, but I just like the UV!

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
Business Manager - Sign & Graphics
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi Rob,

So would you change your view if you were not just doing window films and you were also doing general signage and other applications? If I was a dedicated business to window film art/graphics I may consider a UV as my weapon of choice but if doing other things pound for pound am I not better to look at an Eco Solvent option?
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Ad,

I think I'd be looking at what my main area of business was and what the most important things for me were with regards an investment and getting a return on it.

For banners and general vinyl signage then I think I'd struggle to justify the extra capital cost of a UV machine over a VersaCamm for instance, as I would not be able to charge the premium for the work to recoup the extra capital cost - unless I was doing work with a gloss effect like the VersaUV printers can produce.

If I was however doing a bit of everything including window films, rigid display panels, banners, labels etc, then a UV might still be a good option on account of the extra media flexibility and the ability to reduce some of the workflow (in the case of the rigid boards). It's also worth thinking about where I'd want the business to be in 12-24 months time as well and if I wanted to expand into other markets...

With any investment the best bet is to do your homework, know your customer base and where you want to go and invest accordingly.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
Business Manager - Sign & Graphics
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

henesy

Post by henesy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:54 pm

I have been reading lately about solvent,eco - solvent and UV products yet I believe the information about these different types of wide format printers is still not enough to know the differences of the three.. Can all of it be used for the same type of products? I really want to know if it has downsides compared to other ones....inkjet ink