Window decoration - inside or outside?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to window graphics, window display and point-of-sale
Graham Parken

Window decoration - inside or outside?

Post by Graham Parken » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:00 am

Have been asked to do some window decoration for a shop - will be replacing them with new images over time - would you revese print and put on inside, or apply on outside?

Rob Goleniowski

Re: Window decoration - inside or outside?

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Good afternoon Graham,

Thank you for the message and hope you've had a good weekend.

I would say it depends on the printer you have (ie; a printer with white ink like the SolJet Pro III XC-540mt) and how long the graphics will be required for as to which method would be best. What the customer is prepared to pay will also be a factor I guess!

Personally, if the graphics are required for a reasonable lenght of time then I would suggest printing in reverse and applying from the inside. This way, the graphics will be protected from tampering and it will look more professional. Both these facts you can hopefully highlight to your customer and get them to pay you a little more!

Hope this helps and good luck with the job.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Nathan Johns

Post by Nathan Johns » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 am

Hi,

If you are looking for short term window graphics the easiest way would to use clear self cling for the inside of the window and back it with White vinyl, if your applying to the outside of the windows then a short term print would then be better.

Graham Parken

Post by Graham Parken » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the replies - sorry been so long to come back to this post - been away on holiday!

I decided in the end to do back in white vinyl and put on inside of windows. Wanted to do a quality job otherwise they might not want me to continue to do them in the future!

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi all

I have been asked to quote for a window sticker job (stickers 100 x 150mm ovals) and the customer would like to sell the carrier side as advertising space.

He would like the stickers to be inside with a mask. I've told he that I don't think I can apply the mask, and that I can print both sides, but when I run a test on the carrier side, the ink does not want to dry. I've tried a few profiles and temp settings but no joy.

Does anyone know what setting/profile or infact if I can print onto PE coated silicone paper (the carrier for Grafityps S10P transparet glossy PVC film). Additionally, was I right in saying I can't do the mask? I don't fancy manually applying 1000 oval vinyl blanks to the back!

Can anyone recommend an alternative pvc film ideally with a plain carrier that will do the job?

Many thanks...

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Sorted, very happy.... Can't print onto the backing, but suggested using white static cling (which has a normal paper back), printed a sample (front and back) and got the job for 2000 as an initial order....

Mal :D
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Evening Mal

Great news on the order and I hope it is the 1st of many for you.

Adam and myself are always available if you need any further help with media or applications, and don't forget you can also contact Marc at the academy.

Have a great weekend.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Wolfie
Bronze Member

Post by Wolfie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello Mal, great to hear you secured the order, on a side note how is the SignLab for VersaWorks software going, I haven't had a call so I trust all is good.

Wolfie aka Nigel (Grafityp) in case you don't recognise me :)

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Wolfie wrote:Hello Mal, How is the SignLab for VersaWorks software going, I haven't had a call so I trust all is good.

Wolfie aka Nigel (Grafityp) in case you don't recognise me :)
Hi Nigel,

SignLab has been installed onto Viv's computer so I don't really get chance to play with it :cry: All I seem to do is print the eps files she exports. It would be good to have an additional licence, but her purse is closed at the moment... I also need to play with the configuration. We have the SP set up to my computer, SignLab on Viv's and all the files on a network drive. I need to configure it so we can send to Versaworks from either PC. I think I have to connect the SP to the network drive, but I don't really know.

I'm down your way later this month, so if I've not had the chance to look at it I will nip in to see you or Leigh so you can point me in the right direction.
Last edited by Mal on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Wolfie
Bronze Member

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Cool if you can pop in Mal, but if not I will ask Leigh to email a step by step guide over to you.

Regards
Wolfie