Roland BN-20 setting up printer problem help needed

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
imadethisforus

Roland BN-20 setting up printer problem help needed

Post by imadethisforus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello,

I have recently purchased a second hand Roland BN-20. I'm having some issues setting up the machine. I've installed the software included in box (BN-20 driver, BN-20 Utility, Versaworks) on my laptop which is running windows 7 professional.

When connected via USB my laptop can recognise the printer when I go start>devices and printers> Its there as roland BN-20. However BN Utility and versa works don't recognise the printer at all. It won't show any ink levels and doesn't show on the USB selection drop down in versaworks (this only shows one selection but I have two USB ports)

I tried updating the driver to the latest 1.50V but still the same result I might be doing it wrong though. I was hoping someone has come across this scenario and can shed some light on what to do to resolve this.

Many thanks,
Kev

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland BN-20 setting up printer problem help needed

Post by mrtn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 am

Unplug all other USB printers first. Epson/HP/Canon desktop printers have notoriously bad drivers which flood the whole USB bus with their BS and block other printers from communicating.

Update the software: http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/color.html#bn20

Report back.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

imadethisforus

Post by imadethisforus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks for the link mrtn!

I've updated the firmware of the machine from 2.0 to 2.70 and updated the Win Utility and updated the device driver to 1.50V. I can now see the ink levels on BN-20 Utility.

Only problem is versaworks still doesn't see the printer. The copy of versaworks I have is 4.42 and the download link on site you sent me has an update file for 3.0 to 5.00 the server is faulty as the download always stops at 66mb (its a 690mb file)

Is there any way of updating my software from the application itself or somewhere I can download the latest versaworks?

Many thanks for your support almost there!
Kev

imadethisforus

Post by imadethisforus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 am

mrtn wrote:Unplug all other USB printers first. Epson/HP/Canon desktop printers have notoriously bad drivers which flood the whole USB bus with their BS and block other printers from communicating.

Update the software: http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/color.html#bn20

Report back.
forgot to quote.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:02 am

Uninstall VersaWorks and delete the program folder in Program Files (x86). Then throw away the installer and never use it again.It's close to 10 years old and should not work.

Now read this. You'll get the best and latest version: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11063
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

imadethisforus

Post by imadethisforus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:34 pm

mrtn wrote:Uninstall VersaWorks and delete the program folder in Program Files (x86). Then throw away the installer and never use it again.It's close to 10 years old and should not work.

Now read this. You'll get the best and latest version: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11063
Thanks I'm going to download the file and let you know how I get on.

imadethisforus

Post by imadethisforus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm

mrtn wrote:Uninstall VersaWorks and delete the program folder in Program Files (x86). Then throw away the installer and never use it again.It's close to 10 years old and should not work.

Thanks MRTN Versaworks Duel recognises the printer.

imadethisforus

Post by imadethisforus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Hello MRTN I don't suppose you could help with my next problem.

I'm getting the following gaps in my test print. I've done a manual clean following the instructions on the screen and also a "powerful clean" for the head.

pictures are here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7g2l22ey2uus ... u7n_a?dl=0

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 pm

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but never perform a powerful cleaning. You'll need to fix the cause(s) for the need of it first. Such as a worn/clogged captop and/or a clogged damper.

A powerful cleaning is in place if you are absolutely certain the captop is good and most of the channels are as bad as the single one in yours.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram