BN 20 Ink spillage on media sheet

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
PlusmerchCol

BN 20 Ink spillage on media sheet

Post by PlusmerchCol » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 am

Hi
I'm new here so be patient with me. I've had a BN20 since last June and have been (very) slowly slowly learning to use it whilst doing odd jobs. I've recently come across a problem when the machine goes through the cutting phase of a job.
The print head will return to the home position to do a cleaning cycle and when it returns to cutting there are large droplets of yellow ink deposited on the media. Another thing is it is always yellow ink. It essentially looks like my BN 20 has wet itself.
This was exclusively happening when I was running 'cut only' jobs though it happened yesterday when doing a colour job on clear vinyl. A lot of time wasted.
I have read many other posts about ink smears and doing manual cleans to remedy this however in all those cases it was thin draglines, which I have encountered and remedied before.
The large deposit problem is random it seems. The machine has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks since the last occasion. Before yesterday I thought it was a problem that only occurred during 'cut only' jobs though after yesterday, I am very confused.
Roland have suggested a wiper change and my supplier questions this. The machine is only 9 months old and hasn't been abused with work. It is cleaned regularly and 90% of the time works fine. The wipers look fine. All my media rolls are stored in the plastic bags they came in and there is little risk of dust on the media.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Col

Kai Perry

Re: BN 20 Ink spillage on media sheet

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:40 pm

To rule it out I would change the wipers both wiper and felt, it could just be a build up causing it to drop. Failing this, there may be a problem with a damper or the captop.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

PlusmerchCol

Re: BN 20 Ink spillage on media sheet

Post by PlusmerchCol » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Much appreciated Kai. The odd thing is that it works fine for long periods then the problem occurs randomly it seems. I will change the wipers and see how it goes over the next few weeks.
Thanks again.