Roland VersaCamm SP540i - Initial Cleaning?

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Paul_AU

Roland VersaCamm SP540i - Initial Cleaning?

Post by Paul_AU » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:21 am

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a second-hand Roland VersaCamm SP540i. It has not been used in approximately two years. The ink that was in the machine was mostly empty, and I've purchased a set of new ink cartridges.

I thought before I do anything, I would seek advice on the best way to start and run it safely. I have 5x cartridge flushing solutions, and the regular felt and flushing solution kit, but am not sure of the best way about cleaning it all to run, and any other setup tips, as prior to this I only owned a small cutting machine.

Any advice and tips would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help!

- Paul
Roland VersaCamm SP540i

'Never esteem anything as of advantage to you that will make you break your word or lose your self-respect.'
— Marcus Aurelius

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland VersaCamm SP540i - Initial Cleaning?

Post by mrtn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Was the machine standing for two years unused with inks installed? :?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Paul_AU

Post by Paul_AU » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 pm

It was unused for that duration, and with the inks installed (at varying states of emptiness), yes and unfortunately. All good -- We gave it a power clean via its own internal hard and software, and with the new ink, it seems to have done the trick. The flush cartridges now seem to have been a pointless purchase, that said!

Which brings up another question: When is the right time to use the flush cartridges, and on what machine(s)?
Roland VersaCamm SP540i

'Never esteem anything as of advantage to you that will make you break your word or lose your self-respect.'
— Marcus Aurelius

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Usually you never use flushing cartridges except when you want to switch from lower quality inks to OEM and would want to flush the lines to make sure there's no chemical reaction, but otherwise - never. Perhaps you can swap them for ink cartridges at your dealer.

Also never do power clean again unless things are really bad. This was the only possible situation you would want to do that in and it's done now. Whenever you have stuck nozzles which do not clear by a couple of medium cleanings then you have something else wrong with it such as stuck captops or worn suction pump.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Paul_AU

Post by Paul_AU » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

Thank you kindly, mrtn!

I very much appreciate the advice and support.
Roland VersaCamm SP540i

— Marcus Aurelius