Roland BN-20 sheet feed skewing over time

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Boswaldo

Roland BN-20 sheet feed skewing over time

Post by Boswaldo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 am

Hi Guys, am hoping someone can help with an issue I've been having with my BN-20. I've had the machine for about 4 years now and up until about a year ago I could safely line up 15m + of printing and leave it running overnight. Now I'm having an issue where after the first job has passed through (printed and cut) the sheet starts to slowly go increasingly skew over subsequent jobs to the point where it will work its way out from under the right media clamp (facing the machine) and start to bunch up against the left pinch roller assembly causing it to rumple and potentially push the left clamp up to strike the head or just cause the machine to jam. So I cannot leave the machine to print unattended for more than an hour at a time.

It seems to me that there must be something loose or misaligned there that's allowing this lateral movement of the sheet to occur over time, have just got the machine back from the Roland techs but the issue has not been resolved. I'm hoping someone can suggest a possible reason and solution to this? The printer is quite slow and without being able to leave it printing overnight I'm struggling to keep up with my workload. Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Boswaldo

Re: Roland BN-20 sheet feed skewing over time

Post by Boswaldo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Ok, looks like i've solved this myself, just took a matchbox and wedged it firmly into the gap between the back slider-handle of the pinch roller assembly and the casing of the machine so that no lateral movement of the pinch roller is possible; 8m of printing done and still going straight. Cheap, nasty and effective.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Why would your pinch roller move laterally?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Boswaldo

Post by Boswaldo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 pm

The whole roll of media gradually migrates to the left as printing progresses and puts lateral pressure onto the slider\handle at the back of the movable pinch roller assembly which is, I assume, supposed to be secure enough to prevent it from being moved by this. It's always done it without affecting the media tracking but it seems that now it must be affecting it more, if I wedge something into the gap between the pinch roller assembly's slider/handle and the case of the machine (by the lever that secures the pinch rollers) it prevents the media roll from pushing the pinch roller assembly across and so far has resulted in the media going through mostly completely straight for decent distances. I'm still having some instances where the cut alignment on stickers is a bit off so it's not the perfect solution obviously...

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Interesting. I'll take a look at it the next time I see a BN-20.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am

Do you also use the Custom Cut feature for long P&C jobs?
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Boswaldo

Post by Boswaldo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

Hi Joe - no, I don't. It's something i could look at but the problem isn't occurring specifically with long jobs, the ones I'm running are mostly around 60cm in length, after 2 of those (so 1.2m total) the tracking has gone off so much that I have to reset the media sheet (I do ensure that the sheet is straight to begin with). My wedged matchbox solution has helped with this tracking issue but looking at my prints today it has had quite a negative effect on cut accuracy, some sheets are cut perfectly while others are way off in places, i'm guessing wedging the box in there is causing friction which is affecting the cut accuracy. There may be other hacks I can try but ideally i just want to get the machine back to where it was before (ie where I'm able to leave it alone to print a series of fairly short jobs one after the other without having to reset the sheet between each). I'm starting to think i might need to replace the pinch roller assemblies.