LEF-20 print smudge

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
stevethemanc

LEF-20 print smudge

Post by stevethemanc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi All, hoping some bright spark may be kind enough to assist.

Model: LEF-20

Problem: Hopefully the attached image will demonstrate, but I have an intermittent problem whereby the first top few centimetres on some prints will have some slight smudge marks, always in black and horizontally, i.e. same as the direction of print. To the best of my knowledge this happened both before and after a new K cartridge was installed. The problem has been on-going for probably several weeks now but it is starting to get annoying and cost me print.

During the past several weeks I have performed several manual cleans as well as both Normal and Medium cleans as regular maintenance. The attached img is from this afternoon, following both a Normal and Medium clean earlier today.

My artwork is around 485mm wide and 68mm tall, and I set VersaWorks to repeat that same run 4 times, thereby maximising most of an A3 sheet. Approx half the time (and I have identified no reproducible test case), the attached soiling will occur on the 1st iteration of the print. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th iterations further down the page print consistently fine every time. This happens on different artwork as I very rarely run the same artwork twice.

I'm reluctant to try a Powerful clean unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: Test prints have looked fine and show no dot drop-outs.

Any help warmly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Attachments
lef20-issue_20171108.jpg

Kai Perry

Re: LEF-20 print smudge

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Steve,

As discussed manually cleaning the entire carriage to ensure any dust build up is not going through the ink whilst printing may help.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

stevethemanc

Re: LEF-20 print smudge

Post by stevethemanc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Many thanks indeed Kai, and apologies for not having responded sooner. I can confirm that the advice you have kindly provided over the phone some weeks ago appears to have done the trick. Being relatively new to the LEF I was somewhat wary of which pieces of the carriage to avoid and where specifically would be suitable to investigate with a cleaning swab for this particular issue.

Thanks again,
Steve