Blocked Heads caused by White Ink on VS-640

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Popman

Blocked Heads caused by White Ink on VS-640

Post by Popman » Fri May 27, 2016 2:02 pm

I recently upgraded my ink from ECO-SOL MAX to ECO-SOL MAX 2, as I was informed that the ECO-SOL Max white ink was no longer available. After a month the white stopped printing. The white seems to have separated from the solvent base in the pipes and only solvent printed out. The engineer pumped the white ink into the tubes again and replaced the dampers. I was informed that I needed to shake the cartridges on a daily basis and print white at least once a week.

After about another month, even while shaking the cartridges on a daily basis and printing white once a week, the white completely stopped printing and the engineer put it down to the white ink blocking the heads!

This is all quite frustrating because of the costs involved in the upgrade, I still can't print white, and have a printer with blocked heads. Is this a normal occurrence for Versacamm printers, or is there anything that can be done to unblock the heads?

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Blocked Heads caused by White Ink on VS-640

Post by mrtn » Sat May 28, 2016 12:05 am

1st of all: yes, this is normal for white ink if not shaken well daily and not printed at least once a week.
2nd: it can be unblocked with some work - soaking the captop in solvent overnight and making several cleanings over a few days
3rd: it has always (100%) been a user error - not shaking the cartridge and printing white less than once a week. Printing a square inch does not work. It has to be at least a few milliliters every time. The ink just does not refresh in tubes if you don't and it'll need ink renewal procedures etc.

FYI: engineers can see the cartridge shaking in the service report. So if they ask you to do that once again after the service then you have probably forgotten it for a few times ;)
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Popman

Post by Popman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 am

The engineer would be able to see that the cartridges were shaken every day (except weekends) and a strip 150mm x 1200mm was printed at least once a week. In this case it is definitely not user error....

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:52 am

Okay, did the engineer also replace the captop?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Popman

Post by Popman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:33 am

Yes, The Captop was replaced.

The dampers and the captop weren't replaced when the conversion was done, but had to be replaced a month later when the ink started separating in the tubes. The captop was replaced again after it was discovered the heads were now blocked.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:48 pm

This sounds like the line needs to be flushed by the engineer, they must be a build up of sediment in the line.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

pegatineando

Post by pegatineando » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi.

I have the same problem, The new Eco sol max 2 is destroying my machine.

The saddest part is that I print EVERY DAY IN WHITE. With the eco sol max 1 I could stop the machine for 1 week and nothing happened. Now it can stop printing white in the middle of a work.

VERY DISSAPOINTED :x

My technical service doens't want to take Care about that. Roland, says that "you have to print a strip once a week...bla, bla bla" I print more than that in a day...

So, it's clear that here Roland has created a problem and the white ink user, a minority, are suffering the consequences... but for Roland it's not important, because you have to call to the technical service more frequently and this is also part of the bussiness

AGAIN VERY DISSAPOINTED :x

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:40 pm

I am sad to see you having so many problems with it but it is an isolated case. Max2 white has more pigment in it for better coverage and it works fine if you follow the shaking and service schedule. Please review the following points:

* Do you shake (gently, 15 times) the cartridge EVERY DAY and always BEFORE the first white print of the day? (not AFTER)
* Have you replaced your captops as required? With white/metallic max2 you need to replace it every 9 months the latest.
* Do you use Roland original spare parts only? No chinese knockoff captop will do.

If you answered YES to all points then you should not have any problems whatsoever.

In case you have an old white cartridge in which you have forgotten to shake and it has used up a lot of the base liquid you have very thick pigment in the cartridge left and it would clog your nozzles mid-print and cause all the problems you described.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

pegatineando

Post by pegatineando » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi mrtn

I can answer you

- YES shaking is a daily routine.
- YES captops werw replaced because the same problem in a not long time ago
- YES parts only comes from Roland

And here I am printing a giant ghost white square just to test and move the ink, after 15 poferfull clanings... because it's not working (from saturday to monday)!!!

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:31 pm

You should never do a powerful cleaning. It's a waste of ink, heads and pumps.
If a couple of medium cleanings does not cure the problem your problem lays somewhere else. In your case I would replace the white damper first.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram