Ally table mod

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
imodela

Ally table mod

Post by imodela » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Hello to you all, ok I have modified my imodela table, the original is not big enough for clamping etc and also I am using double sided tape and the parts I am making are very fragile and small and in order to remove the parts I need to dissolve the tape glue in a solvent hence the ally table.
I used some 5mm thick plate which I surfaced in the lathe due to a lack of a mill and then bolted to the original table with some M4 bolts, very simple and easy but not as fancy pants as chevvy's table mod :)

Pictures below, hope it helps and stimulates.

Regards
Steve
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG

chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: Ally table mod

Post by chevy6600 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi imodela, good to see someone else still having a go with their imodela. Just read your pm the answer is rhinocam.
....not as fancy pants as chevvy's table mod. :lol: well your table is a table and a half by the look of the size, it would be interesting to see how you use all that real-estate, i`ll just mention that when i did mine i taped some 600 wet + dry onto the window (the only flat surface i have )and lapped the ally table in after the machine work that got it really flat....wife was out. 8-) . By the way that is fair old lathe you have there. I reckon you ought to knock off a few spindles with it as well. :D

imodela

Re: Ally table mod

Post by imodela » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 am

Hello Chevvy, ahh Rhino cam... I think I have that one in my laptop but its at the doctors at the mo so will have a look when its back.
When you lapped the table on the window I wonder what your neighbours thought at you gyrating at the window - good job your wife was out :lol:
I would love to make some of my own spindles but time is always a problem and at the price they are its cheaper for me timewise to buy them in, by the way that lathe is an old South Bend 1942.
Will post some more pics in time.
Re the size of table; have promised to take the kids camping on it in the October hols :lol:

Regards
Steve