Another one joins

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
paultnl1

Another one joins

Post by paultnl1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 pm

After reading through all of the threads, I have bitten the bullet and ordered my iModela. Whilst I am waiting for it, any recommendations on what consumables and accessories I should be looking at?

chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: Another one joins

Post by chevy6600 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi paultnl1, good to see there is another joining the clan, i would get a good selection of carbide cutters as they will wear faster than you originally thought, as you have already read all this forum (imodela) i won`t repeat were to get them from, you can give some thought as to how much you want to spend keeping yourself supplied in sharp cutters....do you buy all them brand new :?: ......can you sharpen them when required :?: ....can you make do with `V` single point type that are easy to sharpen yourself by hand. :?:
I also like to use balsa wood as my scrap `base` material as this does not wear out the cutters when you need to go through all the `job` material, and is very easy to `level off ` again after the surface is too damaged by previous jobs.
Also search ebay for scrap/ off cuts of plastic, as this can be expensive if bought from large suppliers who want to sell minimum quantity.
Make sure you can get hold of more motors easily and quickly :!: :!: .
start searching the net for free/ demo software that you think may come in handy, you are going to need more software at some stage as you will soon reach rolands software capabilities and i guaranty you will want to get more from your investment than rolands software can offer.
Trying out software will take a lot of your time though so the sooner you start the better.
Get yourself a small hand held vacuum cleaner to keep the mess down to a minimum. :D
I shall resist the temptation to suggest my mods. :lol:

paultnl1

Post by paultnl1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Chevy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already ordered some cheap (disposable) cutters off the bay as I probably wont be doing anything serious to start with.

On the software front, I'm looking at 2D PCB as I want to make some PCB's to go with my Raspberry Pi. Do you know of any better or cheaper alternatives?

I have looked at your mods with green eyes and wondered two things. Have Roland taken you on as a consultant yet? and will you ever have an open day so we can see it all in action?

No doubt I will be back with a ton of questions as soon as it arrives.

Paul

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi again, i have not used my imodela to do any pcb`s yet, so cannot help too much. you might like to try out some of these programs, they are not pcb board specific but are cnc, cad, cam, 3D progs. some are free, some are demo but this web link is a one stop shop for anyone interested in finding out a large range of related software.
http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cadcam.htm#cadcamsystems

I am in the middle of another imodela project to see how far i can take this, using all my mods together so no doubt at some stage i`ll post it up here.(if and when it turns out o.k. ;) ).