IMODELA software requests

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: IMODELA software requests

Post by chevy6600 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Well i have been spending far too much time on using the imodela software trying to squeeze what i want out of them, the good news though is that i think i have made some progress, well at least i have managed to use the imodela creator to justify it`self in my 4th axis project :roll: , i have to admit that at one point i was at the stage of totally removing the `creator` program from my pc for being useless but after exhausting all different format options while also having other issues i decided to have a mug of strong coffee after which i gave it one more shot at finding some software that output the AI format and it is this format that i think enables the imodela creator software to be of some use. ;)
Due to the amount of time and the frustration i have had with this software i think i have earned a bit of space to do a bit of ranting, first off my chest, the different formats between the imodela software prohibiting moving from one to the other just baffles me :shock: , and why not use common formats that are regularly used by this type of work ie.DXF ...though stl is in my view a first choice. The `creator` program as a cad program leaves a lot to be desired there just is not enough editing ability...as in being able to edit a dimension by keying in the dimension somewhere...not just at the beginning when generating the line or whatever. Then there is the need to be able to measure between various parts ACCURATELY and what`s with having the metric system having an accuracy to ONE place of a decimal ! :roll: when the imodela works to 2 places of a decimal, this causes trying to make 2 fitting parts NOT fit :evil: to top it off if you use the imperial setting you get the accuracy to 3 places of a decimal!....i mean....what gives :roll: ....one more gripe, when i have a number of drawings on top of one another ( trying to use various patterns, lines etc to make up the lack of measuring / editing) it is a luck-of-the-draw trying to pick the correct drawing from the one on top or underneath it, why not have a `send to back` command :?: ....just remembered another problem, when i save a file in the `metric` system and then open it while having previously had the program setup in the `imperial` system the opened file decides to alter the cutter sizes that it sees fit :x Q. why can`t the loaded file configure the software as it was saved in ...that`s why you want to save the file isn`t it :?: ... think about it, if you save a file some time in the past and some other time you then open it, there is no way of telling if the sizes are correct as was originally intended! or in my case i intended to give others my files but the other person will not know if the sizes are setup correctly or not!.... ok. i have got that off my chest now :) , i`ll carry on with my diy 4th axis, it seems i might still be able to put together the instructions allowing others to duplicate it using either cheap, free, or already have software.
P.S. i still ran out of smilies. ha.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm

...more software alterations needed :roll:
using `imodela creator` i need to be able to have an existing file open then be able to add info from a previously saved file BUT YOU CAN`T because you are only able to save files in the default format `imd` and you CAN NOT export in anything at all :roll: then to top it off you can`t import it`s own file format `imd` but you can import `ai, eps`...so for gods sake why not be able to import it`s own files :twisted:
If it was not for 3rd party software to enable me to do the additions i would be in a right mess trying to get the cutting paths and drilling positions correct in my project. :roll:
P.S. I am aware that i can copy and past but this is no good for adding 2 files together as the coordinate position of the subject is lost and when you paste it in, it is pasted anywhere on the open page which is no good to me.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi again i have yet another problem with the `imodela creator` program, the only way of telling the dimension's of any design work is by reading the info on the task bar (this itself is an unsatisfactory way) :roll: , well problem one is the program window size cannot be adjusted and you can only see it as a near full size window :x , because of this some screens cannot show the program task bar because the program has pushed it beyond the screen area!
See the screen grab of my sony laptop (not an unknown make) as you can see....or not :roll: see.....there is no task bar showing dimension info and it is impossible to even grab/push the top window up and leave the bottom showing this makes my intended use of my laptop un usable for the purpose of design work or any alterations needed :roll: , so all you people who thought there was no dimension info at all, perhaps you have such a monitor, this kind of situation is not to microsoft compliance.....obviously the roland software developers do not try out the work they do :!: .
So the request this time is...guys fix this situation please.
Attachments
creator screen dump.JPG

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi to you roland guys, i`m still struggling with your software, the latest problem i`m having using your `creator` software is the inability to do a drawing using a combination of the `curve` and `straight` line tools, i have found that any drawing has to be done in one go ( kind of an `etch-a-scetch` problem, if you remember that toy), it is not possible to join the curve lines with straight lines.....i have tried the `weld tool` it does not work.....even if i tried to join multiple straight lines it is hit or mis if they could be joined.
As you can see from the screen grab the result makes a mess of the supposed cutting paths. To those not familiar with the program, the black line is the actual part to be cut out and the red line is supposed to be the centre of the cutter cutting around the outside of the part but as you can see it is cutting all over the place.
Your imodela has been about for the best part of 2 years now as it was around in japan before we had it as i understand, so i think it was about time the software was updated. Bad software will eventualy give roland a bad reputation :!: :!:

P.S...ment to mention before, but the program crashes a lot when trying to open already working saved files. A window appears and says `error report will be sent` (or something similar) so i guess the problem is recorded somewhere....or maybe :roll:
Attachments
creator bug.jpg

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi all, i have just had another bash at using `imodela creator` and after doing a bit of a drawing i tried to do a print off only to find out that there is no print option :!: ......well that`s a bummer, i can`t get a hard copy now. So count this as another software request for ALL software to include a `PRINT` option.
I am yet again forced to use 3rd party software. :|

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello Chevey,

A few tips that may help:

With Laptops I always have issues with many software’s with zooming. It is easiest to use a mouse with a wheel to do this, but if not then you can click the view % number on the bottom right of the screen, this brings up some options for you to get to 800% size (although with a mouse wheel function you can get closer to 10000% zoom).
I am sure there will be a function to do this on your laptop, perhaps have a look at your keyboard configuration file. Usually its using 2 fingers on the pad...?

To get the dimensions of the shape, after highlighting the shape if you click Shape > Properties you get a popup box with the Width and Height of the object. This is only total shape dimensions so perhaps with any internal dimensions, you can make things easier by changing the grid settings, either File > Preferences or View > Grid > Grid Setup. Change the grid to 0.1mmx0.1mm. That way you can use the zoom function to help.

Regarding the Printing, if you have the Virtual Modela program installed when you press Cut in iModela Creator you have the option for the 3D view (the button above the Cut button). This imports the CAM file into the software and you can then print directly from this. This effectively gives you a review of what the cutting will look like.
You probably want to 'print' what the screen looks like though, the only way to do this would be to screenshot the page and paste into Paint or something similar.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok guys i have another software request this time i have an issue with `clickmill` the software will only allow me to cut a max depth of 5mm and a max depth for drilling 6mm :evil: why the devil put such a restriction in the first place :?:
i had hopes with this program in doing a few quick jobs in drilling but seems i will have to either hack the gcode which makes it kind of pointless or use other software.....again. :roll:
So come on guys i want to drill the max of the Z axis, 26mm.

fingerpuk
Silver Member

Post by fingerpuk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 pm

I would really like the option to run a small bit around any edge lines with a angle adjustment greater than n(user input). Having to cover the entire model or make many many small jobs to do some basic fine detailing is a real pain.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 am

It has been a while since i posted any software bugs but my latest one appears to be in the imodela machine software (or firmware), up to now i have only ever got to use the G54 coordinate command on the odd occasion, but my latest project required me to have 3 or so different coordinates due to different cutters etc. specifically i wanted my G55 (G54 already being used) to be set with a lower 0 point on the `Z` axis but when i came to machine the job at hand the spindle moved to where it was programed to go then moved straight back up to the `machine coordinate` zero position then proceeded to machine various paths far too high. After spending a day going through software files and tracing lists of gcode files trying to find the commands to instruct it to incorrectly move up, then doing various tests only to find the gcode files were all ok.
Well i eventualy tracked what was causing my malfunction it transpires that when setting up the G55 command the `Z` parameter does not always remember the new setting 100% of the time, it sometimes remembers and sometimes does not!, i do not seem to be able to find the right circumstances that the machine needs to remember the setting or even why it does not. I do feel it has something to do with the order in which i view and/or work the different `G55 coordinate`and `machine coordinates` then the imodela does not update it`s new G55 setting although all the correct settings have been made. So when the program runs, the imodela progresses through the program nc code to the line that instructs it to move to the correct G55 zero position, it then immediately travels back up higher to the original `machine coordinate` zero position, then in the `control panel` the `Z` position is erased and replaces the number with the original `machine coordinate` and then proceeds as though there was never any G55 position ever made! . It is not a simple `click this` then `click that` then works, but something else is needed before the new G55 is locked into it`s memory. Note that i have had no problems (as of yet) with the G54 so why do i with the G55?
This as you can imagine is very frustrating and a potential disaster in the waiting. I have already just narrowly missed a disaster, i only saved the day because i don`t trust anything before a thorough testing.
I just hope that this post (and the past posts) eventually filter down to the roland software developers to get fixed.
The software versions used are `imodela controller v1.0.3.0` Firmware 120,B110

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 am

.....Well it had to happen sooner or later, after spending a week machining my part i setup the imodela for my last 2 cuts and the cutter just ploughed straight into the job :twisted: What a bummer, and guess what caused the malfunction, it was the G55 position coordinate problem, i thought i was able to check this problem but it looks like it is not even possible to run through the actions to see if the G55 is correct :roll: .
I first ran through the `controller` settings to make sure they all looked ok, my nc/gcode said go down to 17mm, the `controller` program was set to G55 reset to `0` (as it happens this was the same as the `0` standard `0` position) as was required, so i run the imodela and `BAM` the cutter pushes down to 21mm into the job by 4mm before jamming the motor :twisted:
So after pondering what was going on i took the cutter out and did a dummy run which showed that as the program nc code made the instruction to go down to 17mm, the machine actually moved down to 21.5mm, the important point here is the `controller` program was showing 17mm as instructed but the imodela had actualy traveled 21.5mm.
Well after looking through all the G54 to G59 settings trying to see why the machine thinks it should be somewhere else it looks like when i previously setup the G54 coordinate the imodela remembered this and did not update to the newly required G55 position. Another important point is the `x` and `Y` coordinates were remembered into the new G55 position JUST NOT the `Z` axis. The only way of knowing if something is wrong is the time you actualy make the cut. This problem is actualy a `deal breaker` for me as it is important for me to use the `G coordinate` positions.