Getting Started & Software

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
Chance1234

Getting Started & Software

Post by Chance1234 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi,

I've just ordered an imodela and have been browsing the forums this morning. I appreciate some of the questions I am asking have been asked before, but as some of the posts are old, I am wondering if there is more up to date information. The prompt to purchase machine came from the following three Jobs I have on.

I am a jeweller by trade, .and I am working with a customer who has sent us a STL file on what they want made and what I want to do is carve that STL file into wax or acrylic just some I have some physical in my hands rather than browsing the file. - the design needs some modding, but I rather have something physical in my hands to suggest changes rather than browsing on a computer. (16mm piece quite fine detail)

The other thing I want to try with the machine is I have a stock piece I make which involves setting rivets, what I want to is make a small jig so I can line up the rivet holes correctly, a sort of 20mm rectangle with holes in it with a two mm recess on the inside so I can place a bit of silver in the recess and line the rivets up with the hole.

Thirdly, I have a customer who has a 1980s watch which they no longer make a strap for (very odd sizing), however I figure I can fit a newer strap to it by making a small connector in acrylic.

With that being said, the first thing I want to do is tackle the STL file. With the imodela as it comes out of the box and with the included software, am I able to just load up the STL file and be away ? or do I need to do something to the file first ?

Secondly, with the JIG i want to make , does the included software allow for something so simple to be made, or do i need another package ?

Then the last part, what is a good entry software that works with the imoleda to start getting to grips with CAD and allow for more complex designs ?

regards

Dave_Willis

Re: Getting Started & Software

Post by Dave_Willis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Chance1234,

I have only recently started doing similar stuff myself with the iModela, carving wax pieces that will serve as casting masters.

You should be able to just load the STL file into Modela Player 4 and then start cutting. However, my recent experience is that it crashes a lot - so I bought Vectric Cut3D, which works just fine (although still not perfect). Check out Modela Player 4 when you get it. If it doesn't crash on your system with your STL file, then it's probably OK.

To create STL files, I am using ZBrush. It's amazing software, although it has a steep learning curve.

My workflow is Corel Draw > ZBrush > Cut3D

Another program I love is Carrara 3D, but the company who sell it (DAZ3D) seem to be 'sunsetting' it - which is a real shame. It's SO easy to use.

So far, I've only cut one-sided designs - doing both sides is not impossible, but you'd need to devise a reliable clamping mechanism of your own.

Re the drilling jig for the rivets, you may be able to use iModela Creator, included with the iModela. I don't use it, so can't say for sure.

Re cutting tools...the fine ones such as 0.4 mm and 0.5 mm ball noses only have a really short flute, so that has to be borne in mind when making the finishing cuts. I'm still trying to work out how I can use those fine tools myself, without gouging the wax.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Chance1234

Re: Getting Started & Software

Post by Chance1234 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Many thanks for your reply,