Is anyone using the iModela long term out there?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
LIBERTY_UK

Is anyone using the iModela long term out there?

Post by LIBERTY_UK » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:49 am

I bought my own iModela about three years ago, when there was a generally flurry of interest in the product, as reflected in the numerous postings within these forums at the time.

Like lots of other users I had a play with mine, then it got stowed away and forgot about, as I use other Roland products in my business. Earlier this year I dug it out of storage and started using it again and rediscovered what great little machine it is. It is used exclusively with wax, so doesn't encounter the problems with clogged leadscrews in dusty environments that seemed to plague many users. It has been fitted with a larger 3.175mm spindle, so I can use the same range of tools that I use in the MDX machines I own. Whilst 3mm shaft tools are readily available, I already have a large selection of the 3.175mm tools.

Whilst the iModela machines are not as fast as their bigger brothers, the quality of output is every bit as good as far more expensive SRP machines. The output from 3D printers costing twice as much as the iModela still leaves a lot to be desired, meaning they are still a good buy.

Originally used as a back up machine, the iModela is now used to both reduce the run hours on the MDX machines, and to allow multiple jobs to run at the same time. I have recently acquired a second iModela machine that had only had about five hours use, as the price was just too good to ignore. That got me wondering, are any users out there have been using the iModela machines long term?

LIBERTY_UK

Re: Is anyone using the iModela long term out there?

Post by LIBERTY_UK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Clink.jpg
The little Imodela is capable of good work
Clink2.jpg
From a different viewpoint
Decided to power up the iModela this morning to create a wax master. We use two bigger Roland machines to create jewellery waxes, but the little iModela is a surprisingly capable little machine, with good resolution. Yes it's a little slower than most other machines out there, but provided you ensure the lead screws are well lubricated (we use white lithium grease) and don't use hard materials that create dry dust, it can generally be left alone to do its thing.

It's a good bit of kit for the hobbyist wanting to make the occasional small precision piece and I'm surprised it doesn't have more interest and a bigger following, especially having seen the dodgy output out of most home use 3D printers. :?

For the techies, the roughing was done with a 2mm ball nose cutter, and the finishing with a 0.20mm cutter. The size of the piece is 19mm x 14mm and is just over 4mm deep.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Is anyone using the iModela long term out there?

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 am

Nice...do you have a pic of the finished item?
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk