Joe's 3 C's #49 'Droplets, Shading and Conveyors'

Forum favourites and blog-like posts to inspire, offer advice and get your creative juices flowing
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Joe's 3 C's #49 'Droplets, Shading and Conveyors'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi hey hello,

Welcome to another of 'Joe's 3 C's' :D

In these posts I will try to bring you something Creative, Something Cool and something Commercial.
The format for these 3 things will vary, from images, videos and websites to unique applications, tips tricks and tutorials. Mostly print or 3D related but some things may be thrown in just because they ought to be shared (probably in the Cool part)!
There will be some terrible jokes thrown in at the end too!

Being a bit of a geek for all things design related, hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting bits and bobs to share with you!

Quote of the Day :ugeek: :
Choose your love, love your choice.

- Thomas S. Monson, American clergyman
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something Creative...

In mid January I was over in Mumbai, India for an exhibition called Media Expo which is a similar affair to our Sign & Digital UK which is coming up in March at the NEC.
Some of the guys over there are doing some really Creative and Cool things with their machines, in particular the LEF-20 which I was helping to demo at the show.

One of the Roland dealers (http://www.yaagigroup.com) had a fantastic album of incredible prints all made with their LEF-20, featuring some beautiful uses of the gloss and emboss features of the machine. An example is this peacock print with glitter detail:
IMAG0321.jpg
Here you can see a whole array of customised promotional products that all fit into 1 jig so that they can all be printed at the same time!:
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0273.jpg
Upon my return I felt inspired to try something new/different. I wanted to create a domed/droplet effect to simulate water. Here is the result:
IMG_3471.JPG
-I chose a suitable graphic and then created multiple layers of gloss (using Adobe Illustrator)
-To start with I traced the droplet and filled the shapes with the RDG_GLOSS spot colour
-I then added a blur to the edges of the shapes by filling with a gradient going from 100% GLOSS to 0% GLOSS at the edges:
gradient drops.jpg
-Next I created 10 different files, and for each one I shrank/offset the drop size inwards to make them smaller (still with the gradient edges) until the smaller drops disappeared and the larger ones were much smaller:
gradient drops2.jpg
-When it came to printing I printed the droplet image first onto the front of a piece of clear acrylic.
-Then I printed each of the 10 layers of GLOSS starting with the largest, at 10xEmboss each.
-Finally I printed the first layer again with a gloss finish to smooth over any of the edges of the previous layers.

Here are a few more pictures:
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
After doing this droplet image I then also tried printing with glitter and 24k gold leaf!...But that's for the next 3 C's :P

Something Cool...

For those of you that still like to get out the old pen and pencil to create some artwork (it's nice to drag yourself away from the mouse and monitor occasionally!) you may like the look of the felt tips in this video!:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=773135352771804

They look amazing...one pen for a multitude of shades!

Something Commercial...

Here we have some interesting uses of advertising graphics applied to conveyor belts in airports:
coveyor.jpg
And one in a supermarket:
conveyor 2.jpg
Looking for unused advertising spaces in every day places can make you stand out against competition and give you a platform with more impact!

--------------

That's all for this week's Joe's 3 C's!

Toodle Pip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe's chuckles... :lol:

MISSING: Black and white cat with red collar. Very intelligent.

Mittens, if you're reading this, please come home.

-----------------------

Our local bin men must hate reversing their truck.

But at least they bleep out the swearing.

----------------------
This weird makeup...
enhanced-buzz-30734-1420642964-23.jpg
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk