Joe's 3 C's #51! 'Engrave, Laser, Ducati, Coffee'

Forum favourites and blog-like posts to inspire, offer advice and get your creative juices flowing
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Joe's 3 C's #51! 'Engrave, Laser, Ducati, Coffee'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi hey hello,

Welcome to another of 'Joe's 3 C's' :D

In these posts I will try to bring you something Creative, Something Cool and something Commercial.
The format for these 3 things will vary, from images, videos and websites to unique applications, tips tricks and tutorials. Mostly print or 3D related but some things may be thrown in just because they ought to be shared (probably in the Cool part)!
There will be some terrible jokes thrown in at the end too!

Being a bit of a geek for all things design related, hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting bits and bobs to share with you!

Quote of the Day :ugeek: :
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke, English Writer, 1917-2008
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to number 51 of Joe's 3 C's!

Something Creative...

A couple of my own creations this week (blowing that trumpet!).
Last week we were at Sign & Digital UK at the NEC. Whilst there I managed to produce 2 new samples:

The first was started back at our Creative Centre and finished up at the show. I milled/engraved a piece of corian on the EGX-350, then printed onto the cut design using the LEF-20 which I was working at the show.
I used the same design to cut as I did to print so that they would line up correctly.
When printing I printed CMYK > Gloss. The gloss layer goes over an offset black and white version of the colour background within the text:
IMG_3720.JPG
Turn a negative into a positive!

Second one...

Something Cool...

Here we have was something I've wanted to try for a while.
I had some friends over at Radecal laser cut some 5mm clear acrylic with the outline of one of my 3D style vector graffiti designs.
I then again used the LEF-20 to print, this time printing mirrored on the reverse side CMYK > White. These setting are easily applied in Roland VersaWorks.
I included 2 holes so that I could affix two standoffs to make the piece stand 40mm off a wall. Here is the finished design (not on a wall yet):
IMG_3752.JPG
Something Commercial...

A few items for the Commercial feature this week.

First of all a couple of upcoming courses for designers looking to develop their signature style and learn how to make money from it!
The courses are start on April 13th
These courses are based around surface pattern design - if you have thought about adding your designs to homewares, stationery, fabrics etc. then take a look.
DS5.png
Next up we have an article from SignLink in which myself, Brendan Perring and James Deacon feature wrapping a Ducati!:
IMG_3706.JPG
There is a video HERE and the main article can be found in the April edition of SignLink magazine.

Finally another application that I managed to print just before Sign & Digital, again something I had been meaning to do for a while!
When making a round of drinks for the guys on my desk island in the Roland offices it can be hard to remember who wanted what...I'm sure we've all got to the kettle before and completely forgot how many sugars John has, if Mary has milk etc!

so I decided to create a coffee tray that would help out.
The idea is that you place the persons mug below their name, and aim the handle at what drink they want! You can colour match to how strong they like it :ugeek:
I even printed a matte emboss on each drink area to act like a coaster.
IMG_3716.JPG
I reckon this idea has got legs...would you buy one for your team/office/crew?

--------------

That's all for this week's Joe's 3 C's!

Hasta luego

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe's chuckles... :lol:

People in the UK eat more bananas than monkeys.

In 2014, they ate 73,432,384 bananas and only 6 monkeys.

-----------------------

I taught my Dog to play the trumpet on the London Underground...

We went from Barking to Tooting in about an hour.

----------------------
Funny Pic...

Van graphics need updating?:
1484686_928484060529438_6925331640242669437_n.png
This isn't so much funny...more amazing! I met this guy at Printwear and Promotion, he has a GX24 cutter. We were talking on the stand and I just had to get a picture of his hair effort!
IMG_3584.JPG
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

anandmm

Re: Joe's 3 C's #51! 'Engrave, Laser, Ducati, Coffee'

Post by anandmm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Joe
Both the samples Look really cool ! Your registration is perfect. Hope to see more and more !
Try some mix media samples. I want more cool applications from you.

regards
anand

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks Anand! :D
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

marianasousa21

Post by marianasousa21 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Hey!!!
Do you think you could give me the files so i could replicate this?
i've seen it as sign and digital Uk last year, and love it.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Marianasousa21,

Which design are you interested in...the Ducati print?
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd