Joe's 3 C's #54 'Floating City, Themed Floors, Saying NO'

Forum favourites and blog-like posts to inspire, offer advice and get your creative juices flowing
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Joe's 3 C's #54 'Floating City, Themed Floors, Saying NO'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:48 am

Hi hey hello,

Welcome to another of 'Joe's 3 C's' :D

In these posts I will try to bring you something Creative, Something Cool and something Commercial.
The format for these 3 things will vary, from images, videos and websites to unique applications, tips tricks and tutorials. Mostly print or 3D related but some things may be thrown in just because they ought to be shared (probably in the Cool part)!
There will be some terrible jokes thrown in at the end too!

Being a bit of a geek for all things design related, hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting bits and bobs to share with you!

Quote of the Day :ugeek: :
Never Argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Mark Twain, American author and humorist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to number 54 of Joe's 3 C's!

Something Creative...
A Floating City and Cardboard Heaven by Nina Lindgren
'Swedish designer and artist Nina Lindgren of Stockholm, designed and constructed these fantastic cardboard city sculptures reminiscent of some sci-fi and dystopian cityscapes.'
lindgren_cardboard_16.jpg
I love these structures! I think it is because they call to my Creative imagination, especially when I was a child. I used to think up and draw weird and wonderful places and enjoy books which could take you to another world.

These sculptures are simplistic and bare with no decoration and only tiny windows, but I think that adds to their mystery.
lindgren_cardboard_01.jpg
Source

Video

Something Cool...

The home decor market is a huge opportunity for digital printers. From wallpapers to lampshades and desk wraps to curtains there are so many applications that you can offer with a wide format printer.

One of the applications that seems to keep popping up on social media channels and in both home and commercial environments is floor graphics.
Trippy-3D-Photo-Epoxied-Floor-Designs_1.jpg
In commercial buildings the appeal is more obvious, from advertising to fitting in with themed branding or seasonal displays.
In the home it has taken a while to be recognised but seems to be gathering pace. With rented accomodation you were traditionally limited to what you can change in terms of decor, however with the introduction of removable films and the ability to custom print what you want we have a great solution.
A large floor display will not be for everybody, same as with full wall graphics...but for some it will be just what they want. And it doesn't have to be a themed graphic like the water ones for bathrooms, even a new wooden floor effect will be siginificantly cheaper than the real thing! :P
Trippy-3D-Photo-Epoxied-Floor-Designs-6.jpg
Check out more here

And now for something completely different, from a simple, easy and quick way to change the appearance of a room with a floor graphic...to a carving that took 4 YEARS to complete, but that is most definitely Cool!
treetrunk1.jpg
I think that this is incredible. I am impressed by the detail and output that you can achieve with one of the Roland subtractive prototyping machines like the MDX-40A for example or the new monoFab SRM-20 but this is on a nother scale and all done my hand!! 40 ft long and created by Zheng Chunhui

Source

Something Commercial...

A nice little article from Medium.com entitled 'A Simple Guide To Saying no'.
monkey.jpeg
When I speak to some customers/people in the print trade they often say that they will always say yes to a job...and then figure out whether they can do it or not.
Also I am sure that I am like many of you, in that I will try and help out friends or colleagues in any way that I can.
In customer service 'the customer is always right' (right?) but there is a time, place and method to saying no. It is very important in getting a balance and not burning out!

One last thing for you today, a Creative Cool and Commercial packaging concept from:

Designer: Jun Hun Yap Project
Type: Concept
Packaging Contents: Wine Packaging
Materials: Wood, Paper
Source: http://www.packagingoftheworld.com/2015 ... ncept.html

Using a mixture of engraving and print, this is a great example of some really nice artwork making the difference to a product (of which I am a fan).
Junhunyap_stallion2.jpg
Junhunyap_stallion1.jpg
--------------

That's all for this week's Joe's 3 C's!

Ciao for now...have a great week!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe's chuckles... :lol:

People think I'm weird because I swallowed an abacus.

It's what's inside that counts.

----------------------
Funny Pic...
pigeon.jpg
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Ryan Anderson

Re: Joe's 3 C's #54 'Floating City, Themed Floors, Saying NO

Post by Ryan Anderson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:09 am

Wouldn't want to go walking across those floors after a few beers!
Ryan Anderson
Tech Support
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

anandmm

Post by anandmm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 am

Hi Joe
Yes there is lot of scope for wall graphics and floor graphics.
Nice selection of TOPIC

regards

anand
Attachments
Door_graphics2.jpg
Door Graphics2
Door_graphics1.jpg
Door Graphics1

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:00 am

I thought that top one was a real room Anand (was looking at it as a floor graphic int he room!)
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Re: Joe's 3 C's #54 'Floating City, Themed Floors, Saying NO'

Post by PhillyDee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Joe's 3 C's #54 'Floating City, Themed Floors, Saying NO'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 pm

:lol: What a hero
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd