Joe's 3 C's #55 'An Eye, Colourful, Rust, Clouds, BBED'

Forum favourites and blog-like posts to inspire, offer advice and get your creative juices flowing
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Joe's 3 C's #55 'An Eye, Colourful, Rust, Clouds, BBED'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi hey hello,

Welcome to another of 'Joe's 3 C's' :D

In these posts I will try to bring you something Creative, Something Cool and something Commercial.
The format for these 3 things will vary, from images, videos and websites to unique applications, tips tricks and tutorials. Mostly print or 3D related but some things may be thrown in just because they ought to be shared (probably in the Cool part)!
There will be some terrible jokes thrown in at the end too!

Being a bit of a geek for all things design related, hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting bits and bobs to share with you!

Quote of the Day :ugeek: :
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

- Oscar Wilde, Irish Dramatist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while...Welcome to number 55 of Joe's 3 C's!

As it has been a while, let's do a couple of posts for each of our C's...

Something Creative...

Let's start off which a video showing an application/display/piece of art that requires Creativity and patience in abundance among other things.

'The Making of Perceptual Shift by Michael Murphy' shows how Mr Murphy created a 3D sculpture using 1,252 wooden balls, some paint and braided fibers.
eye.jpg
Check out the video here

I've seen similar displays using prints instead of the wooden balls, you could get some really interesting images and create a lot of depth to your display/feature!

-----

Have you ever heard of a street artist/photographer called JR? He flyposts large black and white pasted-images onto buildings and is worth a look.
Similar to some of JR's work in which he pasted a whole favela is this super bright and fun installation in Mexico:
houses.jpg
Germen Crew, a youth organization that works in public space in Mexico worked with local authorities this month to transform a hillside village into a dramatic mural. The project took place on a hillside in the Palimitas district in Pachuca, Mexico. The houses created a mosaic-style mural, and covered 215,000 square feet of painted space. Through the project, the group worked with 452 families in 209 households, who helped choose colors of paint.
I love the fact that they got everybody in the neighborhood involved and ended up with such a vibrant, Creative and Cool piece of art!

Something Cool...

I've posted before a vehicle wrap print of a 'rat look' car (see #52) and now I've seen another that I think looks great!

From Pulptastic.com:
What’s the best way to make your shiny new luxury van look like something even a thief wouldn’t touch? Cover it in rust, of course.

Not really, obviously. UK based car-wrap company Clyde Wraps has created a custom wrap that makes a brand-new 2014 Volkswagen T5 Sportline look like a 1980s Chevy Astro, complete with the rust and damage you’d expect from a van that old.
rusty car.jpg
-----

Next up we have some street art installations from the countryside near Dijon in France.

I love these. Printed cloudy skylines to brighten up miserable brickwork!:
clouds.jpg
See more over on boredpanda here

Something Commercial...

First of all I'm going to have to talk about our first ever Better Business Experience Day which is coming up in a couple of weeks on the 16th September!

The event is free and open to anybody to come along and have a cup of tea, try your hand at any of the workshops, learn more about applications/maintenance/wrapping/display systems...all sorts!
This is something I have wanted us to do here at Roland for a while and I am glad it is happening, it will be a great day...and hopefully the first of many.
On the 16th of September 2015 from 10am-7pm Roland DG will be pioneering our first Better Business Experience Day; an event held at our HQ in Clevedon to inspire, teach and motivate veteran, new and potential Roland DG users.

As well as getting an introduction to Roland DG’s own Academy courses and RolandCare support, delegates will have the opportunity to meet experts from Corel UK Limited, Vivid Laminating, Lightbar, Adventa and Tecna UK along with wrapping guru James Deacon who will be carring out creative and interactive demonstrations throughout the day, and not forgetting 'Big Pete' Colman who will be there to talk through his profitable experiences as a Roland User.

With multiple workshops and seminars from industry experts from a variety of markets, from software to printing, wrapping, laminating and display systems, there will be something to capture the imagination of anyone in the business of print. Alongside this Roland DG will be offering short training sessions on machine maintenance and management through our certified RolandCare team, demonstrating the workflow advantages of our RIP software for Mac OSX; Rolandprintstudio and holding an Intermediate Digital Print taster workshop free of charge through the Roland DG Academy.

Held at the Creative Centre, the inspirational hub of Roland DG UK, with a distinctive collection of creative works from top Roland artists and craftsmen from around the world on display. The list of samples is vast, with everything on display created using Roland DG technology - from surfboards, beer pumps, guitar wraps and mini motorcycles to custom-printed suits, Russian dolls and arcade machine wraps we have it all.

The Creative Centre can be viewed prior to attendance via our Creative Centre Virtual Tour, and attendees will be able to get a taste of what our European Creative Centres can offer through our Virtual Reality headsets on the day.
bbed.jpg
-----

And finally we have some advice from our friends across the pond in which they are de-mystifying some myths about eco-solvent ink.

Check out the blog post HERE
ink.jpg
--------------

That's all for this week's Joe's 3 C's!

Toodle pip!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe's chuckles... :lol:

Say what you like about my forehead wrinkles...they're making headlines.

----------------------
Funny Pic...

Big head or little body...or neither?
little lady.jpg
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk