BN20 inks fine one day but gone the next

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
JessiPins

BN20 inks fine one day but gone the next

Post by JessiPins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi all

We've had our secondhand BN20 for around 4 or 5 months now and we did a nozzle check after we set it up and all was good apart from one section of the blacks where quite a few of the horizontal lines were missing, this section hasn't improved with the cleaning options or manual cleaning but the printer was printing everything fine, correct colours, cutting was never an issue and so on, we were very happy with the printer but recently it has been having on and off moments as I'll explain below:

The first issue we noticed was that it seemed to be printing with little or no reds and when we did the nozzle checks the reds were missing, after a lot of medium cleans (and a few powerful ones) we got it back to printing as normal, since then this has happened with the blues but as above a lot of medium cleans and powerful ones it went back to printing fine, this has all been in our 'testing' stages, printing products for examples and a few small ordered here and there, meanwhile regular nozzle checks and putting a bit of printing through to keep it going so it's not just sat there.

But before Christmas we attempted to print something quite long and the blues disappeared towards the end (nozzle check show that the blues weren't there), after cleanings all was fine but now it seems I get all the nozzle checks working fine and the printer works perfectly and then the next day the blacks are gone from the nozzle checks and i'm back to trying the cleans to getting it working again.

I replaced the cap top (which from researching was the next step) not too long ago but still had the same issues.

I'd just like to know why it prints fine one day (evening) and then I try printing the next morning and the blacks aren't there barely or at all. (the reds, yellows and blues seem to be fine)

Any help would be great!

Jess

Heath

Re: BN20 inks fine one day but gone the next

Post by Heath » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Hey Jess,

I bought mine used and the same amount of time owning, also including bad blacks from head stikes that you wont be able to get back. Are you leaving the printer switched on? Manual cleaning with the correct cleaning fluid? What inks are you using, shaking them as instructed? When I got mine I got a brand new set of Roland eco max, only recently did I attemp some off brand ones and still I've never had the issues you mention.

Kai Perry

Re: BN20 inks fine one day but gone the next

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Jess,

The Cyan dropout is most likely a problem with an ink damper not being filled correctly and then not supplying the head with ink enough to print the whole job.

The Black head could either have damaged by head strikes or may just have dried ink on the head which causes the nozzle blockage.

The Magenta channel not firing still sounds like the cap isn't sealing correctlyu which causes you to run cleans regularly to bring the channel back.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk