LEF primer vs gloss

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
casementsigns

LEF primer vs gloss

Post by casementsigns » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Interested in an LEF desktop machine, unfortunately the 300 will be out of budget so looking at one of the others (possibly refurbished).

With the smaller machines it looks like you have to make a choice between primer & gloss. Trying to assess which would be more useful. Obviously, it depends what sort of jobs you're doing and what you're printing on... just wondering if anyone had any examples where one or the other was indispensable? Is the gloss feature more of a gimmick or is it genuinely useful for "laminating" the print to increase longevity? Do most materials require (or at least benefit) from the application of primer?

(Also, is it true that the only difference between an LEF 20 and 200 is firmware?)

Thanks,

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Re: LEF primer vs gloss

Post by PhillyDee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Truthfully, I got mine over a year ago, and it only came CMYK+Gl+Wh. I had it changed over a couple of months ago to Primer, as although gloss is a nifty thing to have, the primer to me is much more useful.
And yup, mine is a LEF20, but has up to date firmware so its essentially a LEF200 as it has Versaworks Dual.

The primer is good on glass and a few other materials I print onto such as acrylic.

The gloss, tbh, it takes too damned long to make it viable for what I use it for. Great if you have a product that will use it though, its very clever, and great textures etc. Useless to me however :D.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply. Is the primer needed for glass/acrylic because they're non-porous? Or high gloss? Or both?!

How do you find the durability of the print on acrylic (assuming you're using it for signage and not just short-term promotional items)?

I can see how the gloss would be frustratingly slow, especially if using the texture effects. Probably a niche use.

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Primer is needed for glass as its a bugger for adhesion. Like everything, get samples. The glass is still not going to be suitable for high temp use, or dishwasher safe etc. With acrylic it increases the scratch resistance, but does not make it hugely durable so its still no good for acrylic keyrings (other materials such as PU, PET, or PVC have fantastic adhesion however). Go to a demo day, ask questions and take samples. Its a huge purchase with a substantial price tag.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.