automatic generation of cut marks

ladiko

automatic generation of cut marks

Post by ladiko » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello,

on roland's website there are hints on how to use a spot color called "CutContour" to create cut marks. These notes all refer to Corel Draw, Photoshop or Illustrator - all of which require manual intervention by someone.

We are looking for a solution that automatically creates cut marks. We have user generated content which currently is converted from HTML files via wkhtmltopdf (open source command line tools to render HTML into PDF) to PDF and then we print them. We would like to use cut marks with it. We have found a solution which works with Latex: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions ... ty-in-tikz

This works so far, but we would have to convert our system to use Latex or convert HTML -> Latex -> PDF. I wanted to know what other companies were using or if you knew anything towards it? I cannot imagine that we are the only ones with this requirement and I therefore assume that there must already be programs for this!

I attached a minimal example for the Latex way. VersaCamm accepts the circle and square as cut marks.

Thank you and greetings
ladiko
Attachments
CutContourResult.pdf
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
CutContourLatex.tex.pdf
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Re: automatic generation of cut marks

Post by casementsigns » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pm

why not generate the artwork and the cut data as separate files? There are a number of command-line tools to automate the overlaying of one PDF file over another (merging them, effectively). The normal use is to add watermarks, etc, to documents but it should work for your purpose too.