BN-20 - Should i choose metallic or white inks?

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
jignog

BN-20 - Should i choose metallic or white inks?

Post by jignog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Hello everyone.
On Monday morning i am placing an order for a new BN-20. I have considered other much larger printers but have eventually discounted the Versacamms as i have decided that at the moment space and convenience is my priority, therefore I will just be buying this machine as a sideline to my other business.
Now i am in a bit of a dilemma. I have read this forum for peoples views on both metallic and white inks and i can see the pro's and con's of each. I realise that one ink will suit certain applications better than the other. My uses for this machine will not be set in stone so i envisage using it for decals/labels on white material one day, and possibly printing onto clear the next. I also like the possibility of printing onto t-shirts.
I suppose my question to you guys would be - "What ink combination would be most suited to an everyday situation and what ink is called for or requested the most of the two?"
I look forward to all of your advice.
:D

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: BN-20 - Should i choose metallic or white inks?

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 am

Hi jignog,

I am sure that you will be very happy with your new purchase, a great machine!
In terms of choosing your ink configuration I would say that it really is down to you and your type of work/output.
"What ink combination would be most suited to an everyday situation and what ink is called for or requested the most of the two?"
If you are asking about everyday situations then the CMMYK configuration would most likely be a good choice, however I can see from your posts that you may wish to try some more speciality and 'value add' applications, and therefor be looking at either white or metallic.
In my experience white seems to be a little more popular, lots of signage people will want to do window graphics and then the white is a huge advantage.
Metallic gives some great effects, but I think that it is best if you have a market or application in mind for it. Think carefully as you cannot go back once you have chosen!
I also just wanted to point out that you said you liked the possibility of printing onto t-shirts, just to clarify- you cannot print onto t-shirts directly...you print onto either a white or clear transfer material and use a heat press to apply this to garments.
Once you have your machine it may well be worth coming along to the new Introduction to Digital Print course with the Roland Academy- this will help you get off to a running start with your machine and answer any of your initial questions. Get in touch with us to find out more.

Hope it all goes well!

Cheers

Joe
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

jignog

Post by jignog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

Thank's for the reply.
My order has now been placed and I have opted for the white ink option as i see it fitting my needs more.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:40 pm

No problem, I'm sure it'll work out well for you. The next date for the Introduction to Digital print course is the 30th October if you're interested?
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk