LEF printing on 3D printed objects?

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
dartmouth01

LEF printing on 3D printed objects?

Post by dartmouth01 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:05 am

Hi all! New user here, I am interested in using an LEF series printer to try printing on 3D printed objects in polyjet, PLA(FDM), ABS, and SLS materials. I've read the marketing stuff saying that its possible, but haven't been able to find much in the way of real user experiences. Can anyone comment on success/failures/interesting points, or point me to resources I can read more in depth about printing on these materials? How much of a curved surface can I print on? Based on the golf ball samples, it looks like complex curved surfaces shouldn't be a problem?

Also, I may have a need to print onto silicone and latex. Will this also be possible, and will the effect work well?

Thanks in advance!

Al

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: LEF printing on 3D printed objects?

Post by mrtn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am

There are always materials the ink doesn't adhere well to, it's unavoidable. For those you need to use different primers. For example - the ink does not stick to bare silicone or aluminum but when applied SEM Plastic Adhesion primer it holds on to it like crazy. Applies on most materials, there's always a primer, you just have to find it if someone already hasn't found it for you.

Regarding 3D objects, here's a sample I made myself:

Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Martin that looks amazing! You wouldn't be able to tell it was printed if it weren't for the sides.
Ryan Anderson
RolandCare Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
My LinkedIn Profile

dartmouth01

Post by dartmouth01 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Martin, thanks for the info, and the print looks great on the 3D part. Is that an SLA or PJ part? I notice that the part is still pretty flat.... I'm assuming this effect couldn't be done on something with alot of curvature? Thanks for the tip on the primer, that is good to know.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:15 am

The part actually has more than 10 mm vertical difference. It's a bit tricky, you can't do crisp graphics in this kind of object as the focus changes all the time. Abstract patterns and such work well.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

victor enrique

Post by victor enrique » Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 pm

hola a todo me gustaría saber que presio tienes esa maquina la Roland VersaUV LEF-20 y donde la ubico si es nueva o usada

victor enrique

Post by victor enrique » Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 pm

hola a todo me gustaría saber que presio tienes esa maquina la Roland VersaUV LEF-20 y donde la ubico si es nueva o usada

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am

Hola Victor,

Gracias por su mensaje. Para les preguntas de precios y como puede comprar máquinas es mejor contacto su Roland local. Donde estas? Aqui estamos un Forum que hables en Ingles, crea que no tenemos otra gente que hables en espanol...lo siento!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk