BN20 Print issues - School in desperate need!!

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
InveralmondCHS

BN20 Print issues - School in desperate need!!

Post by InveralmondCHS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 am

Hi there everyone

First time post for myself so apologies if I’m asking a question that has already been answered (I did try searching before posting :D )

So I am a Graphic Design teacher in Scotland and I am fortunate enough to work in a school that has a BN-20. The machine has been excellent since it was purchased 3 or so years ago and has been used on a weekly basis for most of the time we’ve had it.

Just before Christmas we started having issues where the machine just stopped printing black. All other colours are fine but black seems to be an issue. We have tried the following steps but have not had any success in resolving the issue;
1. Several medium and powerful cleans through the BN-20 utility.
2. Manual clean of the print head.
3. Purged ink through the utility.
4. Replaced the cartridge (in case it was showing as having ink but was full).

The test pattern was printing everything else perfectly, but no black at all...not even a tiny bit.

Some context to the machine;
•Never been serviced
•No parts ever replaced (including wipers/dampeners etc).
•Always switched on for self-cleaning.
•Used for printing onto vinyl and occasional card.

We have now started to see some gaps appear in the lines that take the ink from the cartridges to the print head for two of the colours.not good obviously,

Is there anyone that can provide some help in troubleshooting the issue at al? As a public sector school in the current financial climate we are pretty restricted to repairs, with Roland looking for £850 p/a to put the machine back under warranty to get an engineer out, and that’s before a part is ordered. :shock: Searched the net high and low and no independent repair guys in Scotland that deal with Roland machines either

We really don’t want to loose it as the kids love using it for garments and packaging projects.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

David

woolly
Gold Member

Re: BN20 Print issues - School in desperate need!!

Post by woolly » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 pm

if it has not been serviced in anyway for 3 years problems could be many start with a nice new oe cap top and wiper making sure the head is clean for it to seal against, i think all those instructions are in the manual.