*THE END OF THE FORUM AS WE KNOW IT*

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

*THE END OF THE FORUM AS WE KNOW IT*

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Most of you should have received an email with a notification that the Forum will be closing down... :(

We will be unplugging the Roland DG Forum in 30 days and moving the community over to our social channels.

Our community is not going anywhere, it just has a new home on Facebook.
The new Roland Community Page on Facebook will bring together Roland staff, users and enthusiasts alike and can be joined here.

In addition to this we have been working away at creating a new online learning portal!
This new platform is currently in BETA testing and will be launching officially at the start of 2021.
However in the meantime you can register and start making the most of it here.

We would like to thank you all for your contributions and efforts over the last 10(?) years and look forward to seeing you across some of our other channels.
Attachments
2.png
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

PhillyDee
Gold Member

Re: *THE END OF THE FORUM AS WE KNOW IT*

Post by PhillyDee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am

I can understand why, but consider putting the forums on lockdown / archive as a permanent resource as Google has indexed this over many years and it will likely relieve strain on your tech support folks. It also has a wealth of knowledge about discontinued machines that can be used for years. I am guessing your knowledgebase and tech guides will not cover that which is no longer in production.
EX-Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh) (Head Death)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYK Pr Wh)
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x4
HPC Laser - LS6090PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x2
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Vision Camera system and rotary axis.

paolo8453
Silver Member

Post by paolo8453 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:26 am

You're wasting your time with this PhillyDee. They couldn't give a ****!

Looks like it's a marketing decision from a self proclaimed "...highly successful, results driven and ambitious Marketing Manager " and not someone who is actually involved in using Roland products. Have they even used a Roland product or looked at this forum before?

They clearly don't understand community and the sharing of acquired knowledge.

What a waste of all that time, effort and knowledge over all those years.

Perhaps the person responsible for the decision should have some insight and experience in using Roland machines?
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Looks like it's a marketing decision from a self proclaimed "...highly successful, results driven and ambitious Marketing Manager " and not someone who is actually involved in using Roland products. Have they even used a Roland product or looked at this forum before?

that indeed was my thoughts but i don't have your command of the English language to put it so eloquently, can't wait for the deluge of adverts on fb nothing to do with a little problem i am having or what's the best way to do so and so.

and don't get me going on service mode lockdown
roland user for 20 plus years you could possibly ask why i would not buy a new one.

rolandstu

Post by rolandstu » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm shocked that this forum is being moved over to Facebook. What an utterly backward step. There are rich resources/nuggets of information in the forum. I can only think that it's a push to move people over to new machinery and to give RDG more control. I'd imagine a third party provider will plug this gap with a forum and not all will be lost, but this is IMO a mistake by Roland DG.

Will this forum be backed up for posterity? or are all old posts/information to be deleted?

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Post by casementsigns » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 am

Anyone who is concerned about losing valuable info - there is the option to download the site yourself!! There are many free or low-cost apps that will do it (e.g. Sitesucker on Mac), and the whole thing is probably only about 5 Gb so won't take too long or take up much space.

paolo8453
Silver Member

Post by paolo8453 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am

Now there's an idea 8-) Will give it a go...
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:20 am

Interesting, thanks for the info!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk