Infrequent user of BN20 with regular cleaning requirements!

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
FLG

Infrequent user of BN20 with regular cleaning requirements!

Post by FLG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am

I have had my BN-20 for a few years now and when it's working it's great. The problem I have is that I am a infrequent user and I know that is not an ideal situation. There can be 2 - 3 week gap in user requirements. I can't really do that much about it, but the printer is needed. I am asking if there is something I can do to minimise the time needed to get the printer fired up after a long stand. Soaking the head overnight, power cleans, and alike tend to have low success getting the head working well, but Head Washes tend to sort it out.

I know I should use the machine more but I don't it's just the way it is. Info on the machine:

Cap Tops are replaced every 6 to 12 months or so along with the wipers.
As the machine is in a neighbouring bedroom (my office) it is on a timer to prevent the maintenance cleans between 10:30pm and 07:00am.
Problem existed using original inks and I am now trying InkTec Eco Nova with identical results.
Firmware is 2.7 running win 7 pro.

As I have said previously when I get it working it is fine. I am looking for general advise (tips) to improve the dead time wasted getting the printer up to speed and practical things that can be done to improve chances of a quick start up between print runs.

I await a slap across the face from a wet Cod!

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Infrequent user of BN20 with regular cleaning requirements!

Post by mrtn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

There's nothing apart from weekly prints to improve your experience.

Also, there's no benefit in using third party inks in a BN-20.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

FLG

Post by FLG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 am

I understand the passion for original inks but I have found no disadvantage to them to be honest, even outdoor exposure and UV lamp testing.

I will try printing something on a more regular basis I think. I can see the benefit to this over wasting time with head flushes.

If anyone else has any pointers they will be greatly received.

Nigel

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 am

There’s no passion, it’s pure logic. You have 12 month warranty on a new head with original inks. There are never dry-up issues with it (MAX). No point in MAX2 and MAX3 for light use BN-20.

Printing is better for print head than flushing. Consider it as regular excercise. It keeps the internal elements of the printhead flexible. The head would spoil even if you made daily flushes and no printing at all.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

FLG

Post by FLG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:28 pm

I will be trying the print every few days weather I need to or not. It's the only thing I have not tried. I have not yet seen any evidence that shows the original inks have less tendancy to dry up, however I will revert to see if there is any evidence I can detect to prove your point.

A colour cartridge lasts 7 - 8 months at the moment so it's going to be into 2018 when I do this.

Thanks for your input MRTN

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Naturally, YMMV. I have seen perhaps a dozen different third party inks in Roland printers, that’s my source of information.

You’re welcome and good luck.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram