LEF20: Multiple feint horizontal lines

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
stevethemanc

LEF20: Multiple feint horizontal lines

Post by stevethemanc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi all, hoping that somebody may be able to enlighten me. I've performed a normal clean then a medium clean, as well as a regular physical maintenance clean of the machine. In my print if I hold it up to the light I'm getting multiple feint horizontal lines bunched extremely tightly together. It's not easy to photograph in such a way which demonstrates the problem. Test print is showing no dot drop-out. Does anybody have any ideas to resolve?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: LEF20: Multiple feint horizontal lines

Post by mrtn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Are the lines also sometimes wonky?

You might be experiencing so-called UV-banding.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

stevethemanc

Post by stevethemanc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm

It's difficult to tell as they're so tightly packed together, but I don't think they are. What's UV banding and what would be the resolution if that were the case?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 am

It's caused in the polymerization process when the ink is cured.

Can you make pure 50% CMYK boxes (Density Control Only in Versaworks) and check if you notice the lines.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

stevethemanc

Post by stevethemanc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am

I'm using VersaWorks 5.5 (with Windows XP) and cannot find a Density Control Only option. I have however printed CMYK at 50% by setting it at 50% opacity in the artwork. The 50% CMYK print indicates that if the horizontal lines are there then they're a lot less noticeable. I'm actually struggling to see them with the naked eye in the same way as I can just about see them with CMYK printed at 100%.

What does this tell us?

Appreciate your help, btw.
Steve

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:27 am

Density control Only is a preset in "color management" [sic]
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYK Pr Wh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x3
HPC Laser - LS6090PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x2
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Vision Camera system and rotary axis.

stevethemanc

Post by stevethemanc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Unless I'm having a senior day, there does not appear to be a Color Management section in VersaWorks 5.5. There is a "Color Adjustment" area but this does not contain any option for Density Control Only.

Regardless, I've printed 50% CMYK by setting 50% CMYK opacity in the artwork and there doesn't seem to be the same issue. Does anyone know what can be concluded from this?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Open job settings, go to Quality tab and you find Color Management presets in the lower part of the section.

Did you not get training with the purchase of the printer? I would not let anyone near a printer without a full day training.

Anyway: post picture of the effect AND the nozzle test print.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

stevethemanc

Post by stevethemanc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Ok - found that, thank-you. Results still the same. Attached is image of 100% CMYK print which is as good as I can get it, but it really doesn't show the problem because the lines are so tightly packed together and only really show up in the light. There appears no issue with 50% CMYK print. There is nothing to see on the standard test print other than a perfect result.

Yes I got some training with installation of the printer, though it was not a full day. I would actually question the benefit of learning the finer nuances of every last sub-menu item of a software application when faced with a completely new technology: it would just be overload and likely counter productive. Like when faced with any new technology, you learn what you need to in order to get started, you get comfortable, and you gradually learn the more in-depth stuff as you go along. If someone had told me the difference between IPv4 and IPv6 protocols the day I bought my first laptop, it may have been a struggle to find a point of reference.
20180126_181938.jpg
CMYK 100% print

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

There’s some unfortunate nozzle deflection in cyan, I can see that. It should show in nozzle test as well.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram