need help with cutting thick material vs-640

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
aimbug

need help with cutting thick material vs-640

Post by aimbug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 am

hello everyone

recently i have change my over laminate to thicker, i am using avery dennison 2010A stone guard PPF and 80 micron vinyl, so the total thickness is 325+80 micron = 15 mil, my media size is 58"x38", i have replaced the cutting pad and blade, the problem i am facing is the cutting is not aligned. the first part it cut perfect but then the cut shift, i think the media weight is a problem. please help, should i make a bed ?

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: need help with cutting thick material vs-640

Post by mrtn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:28 am

1) get a thick material blade https://www.rolanddgastore.com/product.aspx?zpid=1590
2) set cut and up speed as low as possible, not more than a couple of inches per second
3) set all possible extra pinch rollers in the machine
4) check that there’s is no restriction in media movement, including glue residue on the machine bed, front and back

NB: as the media consistency is probably not equal set the blade extension to the required cut depth and try with two cut passes with less pressure only the nose guard being the depth regulator instead of exact pressure setting, you might get a better result. Not guaranteed tho. If the media is thick but soft enough to allow the blade to penetrate all the way in one pass then you should be able to cut with one pass with the settings I suggested initially.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:13 pm

should i make a bed ?

Probably yes this takes away the media weight and the bowing over the bed but still use as many rollers as you can. Bit of warmth will help
I did this with a graphtec with good results for difficult media. Then had the chance of a flat bed cutter and all problems gone.

aimbug

Post by aimbug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm

thanks guys i have been using all the rollers, the speed is 3cm per second, but @mrtn you are right is should use 2 pass cut with lower force this will allow full cut as well as low damage to blade, and sir @woolly do you have any pics of bed for Vs-640 ? as i think i have to make for both side

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52 am

Been trying to up load this for ages hope it was worth while. End plates 3 mm composite tubes 25mm ally
Tube cover banner material yes front and rear big enough to hold your average cut area.
Idea being remove tubes and fold out side plates for normal printer use banner just hangs like a curtain
Some people just put a table ft and rear depends what you got keeping stiff material flat helps registration for the second cut if necessary
Out of interest what use are you putting this material too
Attachments
IMG_20180312_002950.jpg

aimbug

Post by aimbug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

i had a metal ply sheet lying around so i tried this way, and it worked. but now i have your design so i will be starting to make bed tomorrow

aimbug

Post by aimbug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm

IMG_8849.JPG
i had a metal ply sheet lying around so i tried this way, and it worked. but now i have your design so i will be starting to make bed tomorrow

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Not shown but I would shape the bottom of the end plates so it sits on the rollers at the rear and the take up bar at the front and a snug fitting to the base of the bed casing. So with the tubes fitted it's self supporting and ridged enough. Nice and easy to remove and refit.
Bit of cardboard to draw your templates
Have fun.

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Having said that see you don't have a take up so possibly use the black cross beam for the end plates to sit on

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Interesting...be good to see a finished one!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk