Roland Versa UV LEF-200 - curved surface max tolerance?

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
spyromike

Roland Versa UV LEF-200 - curved surface max tolerance?

Post by spyromike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:08 am

Hello,

I currently own a BN-20 and use it for printing small stickers, so I'm a little bit familiar with Roland.

I'm considering a LEF-200 to expand our product offering. The item I want to print on has an embossed edge around all sides measuring about 1.2-1.5mm higher than the printing surface.

The sample images of golf balls appear to be pretty clear despite their uneven surface, so I'm hoping this printer might still work for my needs.

My concern is that the head adjustment will have to be 1.5mm higher for safety. I'm worried about print quality and even more worried about a head strike.

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland Versa UV LEF-200 - curved surface max tolerance?

Post by mrtn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 am

+2 mm is okay with “Distance” mode. It lowers head carriage speed to prevent the ink droplets from deflecting due to turbulence and is generally fine for printing uneven surfaces.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

spyromike

Post by spyromike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

If I also want to print on the raised surface as well as the lower surface, will it still look ok? The raised surface printing will only have a solid color, the detail will be on the lower surface.

Does anyone have pictures of uneven surfaces they printed on to show the detail / print quality to be expected? Thanks very much.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:15 pm

As said, a 2 mm drop will be fine. Not so much after that for good detail. You should also avoid printing at a great distance with a UV printer as scattering UV light will damage printheads.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am

Hiya Mike,
If you're in the UK it's probably best to either come and see us (just south of Bristol) or go see your Roland dealer for a demo...then you can see it in action and do some test prints on depths etc.We have lots of sample prints here with uneven surfaces.
If interested give me a shout!

Cheers
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk