BN20 Waste Ink Tank

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
PhilPrice

BN20 Waste Ink Tank

Post by PhilPrice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Guys,
Anyone know whether the BN20 waste tanks can be emptied as they don't appear to be sealed units (four phillips head screws on the top of the plastic case)?
I seam to go through them so quickly and they're not cheap to replace!!!
Regards,
Phil

hughb40
Bronze Member

Re: BN20 Waste Ink Tank

Post by hughb40 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:18 pm

When we changed ours we had a look inside to see what kind of technical wizardry was involved - and were a bit surprised to find contents of a few layers of wadding. Not wanting to invalidate warranty we have kept it as emergency back up but had wondered if anyone offers replacement waddding cut to shape? Any guesses as to why the plastic box needs a heavy metal plate screwed on top - is there a pressure issue?

Intrigued!

All the best

Hugh

stitch-up
Silver Member

Post by stitch-up » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am

A bit of rag does the job - just there to stop the ink slopping around, that's the case with our Epson printers anyway :D
Roland BN-20
NeoFlex Direct to Garment Printer
Gerber Edge FX
Gerber GS15Plus
Brother BAS-423 Three Head Embroidery Machine
Tajima Neo TEJT C1501 Embroidery Machine
All American WTS-S104 Four Head Sequin Machine
Epson Stylus Pro 9800
To many Heat Presses!

PhilPrice

Post by PhilPrice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

....so does anyone out there empty the ink and re-use the waste tanks? I'm on my fourth waste tank and I only bought the printer in July of last year.

hughb40
Bronze Member

Post by hughb40 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 am

PhilPrice wrote:....so does anyone out there empty the ink and re-use the waste tanks? I'm on my fourth waste tank and I only bought the printer in July of last year.
can't see why not - any tech wizards think of why not? Still intrigued as to need for screwed metal plate cover - quality engineering or just overengineering? :?

Dennis Poole
Administrator

Post by Dennis Poole » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

All,

The amount of ink the waste tank can hold is calculated taking into account the absorbent material we use within it. This calculation is programmed into the BN-20, which prevents it from overfilling the waste tank and causing damage to the machine. By opening the tank and replacing the absorbent material with something else which is not as absorbent you run the risk of the waste tank being overfilled and therefore damaging the machine. This will void your warranty.

Roland’s official line is not to open the waste tank but rather to replace it with a new one. If you do decide to empty it yourself that would be at your own risk.

Cheers
Dennis
Dennis Poole
Managing Director
RDR Global Limited

PhilPrice

Post by PhilPrice » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Do Roland sell the absorbent material seperately. seems a bit over the top to replace the entire case every time. If it were a sealed unit I could maybe understand but you can undo the four phillips screws and remove the material. Maybe it should be a swap-out part. This is currently a very un-environmentally friendly solution.
Phil Price

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Replacing the absorbent is a messy job. You can get the absorbent felt for the SP-series but once you try you will never want to do it again.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

hughb40
Bronze Member

Post by hughb40 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 pm

[quote="PhilPrice"]Do Roland sell the absorbent material seperately. seems a bit over the top to replace the entire case every time. If it were a sealed unit I could maybe understand but you can undo the four phillips screws and remove the material. Maybe it should be a swap-out part. This is currently a very un-environmentally friendly solution.
Phil Price[/quote

Agree with Phil on this one! : - Dennis - couldn't Roland supply just the wadding as user fit part, like car mfrs supply air filters not the whole air filter box, then no warranty issues :idea: .

hughb40
Bronze Member

Post by hughb40 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm

geotime.ee wrote:Replacing the absorbent is a messy job. You can get the absorbent felt for the SP-series but once you try you will never want to do it again.
Hi Martin. Don't know about bigger machines and amount of ink sloshing about in waste tank but can verify that BN20 wadding can quickly and easily be changed and just use disposable gloves and a bit of absorbent wipe - for price saving it makes a lot of sense when you're looking at consumable costs :)

All the best, Hugh