profile for magnetic sheeting

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
ryan

Post by ryan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:13 am

can anyone help, i purchased some printable magnetic sheeting the other day, i was told i could print ok with my VP 540 but they did not have any profiles, i figured any old generic vinyl profile would do?? No joy I've tried everything, changing head height, different profiles, the quality is very poor, the vender offered no help,......have i missed something

ryan

Post by ryan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

can anyone help, i purchased some printable magnetic sheeting the other day, i was told i could print ok with my VP 540 but they did not have any profiles, i figured any old generic vinyl profile would do?? No joy I've tried everything, changing head height, different profiles, the quality is very poor, the vender offered no help,......have i missed something

Kai Perry

Re: profile for magnetic sheeting

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Ryan,

Which type of magnetic material have you bought, there are two main types, sign magnetic which is usually thicker and digital magnetic.

When I have printed on the material previously the main problem is that the ink doesn't cure very quickly, depending on the tickles of the material, the lower head height will give you better quality.

The profile I have used on a VP was the Metamark MD5-100 one, this does take a while to cure but has worked form me in the past.

You would need to laminate the print after it has cured as well.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Dennis Poole
Administrator

Post by Dennis Poole » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Posts joined as duplicated.
Dennis Poole
Managing Director
RDR Global Limited

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi Ryan

Just follow on from Kai's post but I have also used the Metamark MD5-100 profile on magnetic as it has a lower ink limit than the generic profile and as a result dries a bit faster. To help the drying and improve the quality, either print on a high quality or slow the head scan speed down a little.

Results do vary between different media as there are some that are better quality than others but I hope this helps.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
Follow me: @goleniowski

ryan

Post by ryan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 pm

thanks for the replies, dunno what i bought but it came from MDP Supplies, they assured me it would be ok with my roland, ive tried altering the head height also tried metamark MD5 profiles, tried using the generic ripc profile even a profile for clear vinyl all the colours just bleed,

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:27 am

It would be worth checking with MDP Supplies that they have sent you a material suitable for eco-solvent inks. It may be that you will never get a good result and you may need to look at a different media.

Results do vary from media to media and in general you will always get a better result on a vinyl. Only other suggestion I can think of would be to print the images on vinyl with registration marks, apply it to the magnetic and you can then use your VersaCamm to cut the images to shape after the machine has found the registration marks...

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
Follow me: @goleniowski