Share some knowledge for printing on Wood

General discussion on ideas and applications. Things you've done, things you're considering, things you find tricky
BlueArt

Share some knowledge for printing on Wood

Post by BlueArt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask if anyone could share some experience regarding print onto wood.
As in certain settings or ideas how to achieve good quality design. Those 3D textures look amazing
on the brouchure but you have to learn how to get there. Any suggestions would be apprecieated :)
Currently using UV LEF-300.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Share some knowledge for printing on Wood

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:48 am

Hiya,
Depends on the wood...so many different types and finishes!
Also what do you mean by 'good quality design'? Different images may suit different types of wood or a different market. For example a promotional wine box may require a different print to an interior wooden sign for a room in an office.
The 3D textures normally come down to your creativity in the design file, check out this webinar video which may help.
Try printing both with and without a white layer to see the difference in finishes.
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

BlueArt

Post by BlueArt » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am

It's a soft pine wood with clear finish. By good quality design i specifically ask about settings.
As in print passes, head speed, overlays etc. I recognize the options are many and the outcomes are different.
Guess i will experiment more. Thank you for the video tutorial. I've watched it a couple of times and took helpful notes.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Yeah it's very subjective, so testing yourself will be best.
If you're not happy with the density, could go for a double overprint, but other than that reckon standard mode should be fine!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk