Ink bleed issue

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
em555

Ink bleed issue

Post by em555 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am

We are running a Roland VS540i and for the last while we have used Sun Chemical ESL 2 inks.

Due to a supply issue we recently had to change and Digiprint supplies Digink eMAX 2 was recommended. These were advised as plug and play and that we would not need to replace all cartridges at the same time.

We recently ordered and installed 2x yellow cartridges. After a few days we have been printing with some issues.

It seems anything being printed with a yellow ink is running into the colour (photo attached). Most other colours seem fine.

We've ran these on standard quality before with no issues. The only thing that seems to help this issue, is printing in high quality and in uni-directional mode. This is obviously a lot slower and we cannot keep doing this for all jobs.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening and if there is anything we can do?
We recently ordered some Cyan ink and I'm reluctant to install.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20190606_101517_resized_20190606_101544645.jpg

Kai Perry

Re: Ink bleed issue

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm

First off mixing different ink types leads to incorrect colour outputs, as all inks have a different amount of pigment, hence the price of the ink.

From the image it looks like its a profile issue likely caused by the mixing, when printing its using all inks to make up the colour, the profile ink limit is likely set for one ink type and the other is not matching.

I would begin by using one ink type only and then looking for a matched profile for the ink type.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

em555

Post by em555 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Kai - A quick update:

I noticed everything was using MAX IMPACT - Upon changing this to the default Pre-Press UK it fixed the problem on the labels I was printing on adhesive vinyl.

I am now printing on some banner material and noticed the issue is still there even with Pre-Press UK, however it is nowhere nearly as bad as it was before.

Any suggestions based on this? I have also ordered a full set of inks.

Many Thanks

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am

Max Impact will put down a percentage of extra ink, what does sign and display look like? Also in the design make it so there is no colour behind the text as this could give an overprint.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

em555

Post by em555 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Sign & Display also gives a similar result - Pre-Press US is also still giving issues on the banner material.
The issue is completely resolved on adhesive vinyl using pre-press us on either standard or high quality.

There is no additional colour / text behind the text that is bleeding. I've also had the suggestion of adding a 0.1pt white border to the text. I've also done this and it still bleeds into the yellow.

Thanks

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

How about the ink, are you now running one complete set of inks or are you still using a mix?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd