LEF 200 Using gloss ink as primer for white ink

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
Lecram

LEF 200 Using gloss ink as primer for white ink

Post by Lecram » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:23 am

White ink does not stick well at several substrates. I did some tests with printing a matt gloss layer first on aluminium, plastic and glass, and I was surprised that the white ink sticks much better on a matt gloss layer. And matt gloss sticks much better on substrates than white ink.

The big advantage is that I can keep the gloss ink cartridge, and don't need primer.

What do you experts think?
LEF-200 owner. I print face plates for classic motorcycle clocks: www.CB750faces.com

Kai Perry

Re: LEF 200 Using gloss ink as primer for white ink

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 am

It really depends on the substrate and the wetness of it, I would usually use a primer instead of this approach as if the wetness is low and the adhesion is then poor having multiple layers of ink on the surface can cause the ink to be too heavy for the surface and will eventually peel away.

With a pre-prime of the surface with a suitable primer you are setting the base as having a good adhesion meaning you don't have to add multiple layers of ink, which will lay flatter on the surface, the time for this method is quicker than the gloss and then white and colour method.

The benefit of it would be that only the area needing print would have ink, so it may work in some instances.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Lecram

Post by Lecram » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you Kai. The problem with primer is that I have to use the primer for the entire surface, even when I just want a print something small on a bigger surface. When printing a gloss layer first, I just have to print there where the white ink is printed. See example, where I print lettering on a plastic lens. Without gloss underlayer, the white ink does not stick. With matt gloss layer, the white sticks perfectly

What do you mean with: "the wetness of it"? I always print on dry surfaces.
Attachments
CBX-Neutral-Before-After_resize.png
LEF-200 owner. I print face plates for classic motorcycle clocks: www.CB750faces.com

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am

Every object has a particular wetness, this determines the level of adhesion, you can test the adhesion using a Dyne test.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk