Roland BN20 The ink is not drying on holographic vinyl

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
Flavia Verda

Roland BN20 The ink is not drying on holographic vinyl

Post by Flavia Verda » Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello everyone ,
I have a Roland BN20 and I am using EcoSolMax 2 ecosolvent ink . I bought some holographic vinyl that was supposed to be compatible with eco solvent inks, but when I am printing the ink is not drying at all and even after 2 hours I can simply wipe it off completely. I used a different holographic vinyl in the past and it worked perfectly. Is there any hope to adjust the printing settings and make it work?

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Roland BN20 The ink is not drying on holographic vinyl

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Sounds like it's not a printable media...double check with the suppliers, they may have just said that to sell you something!?
If it's not drying then there's not a lot you can do, other than mount onto it with a clear printed vinyl.
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Flavia Verda

Post by Flavia Verda » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Thank you for your answer! I will definitely try your idea with the transparent vinyl over it if I can't find a printing solution.
The supliers still tell me is printable and compatible with eco-solvent machines, they even sent me pictures with a printing process and the machine was using eco solvent inks indeed. But after 2 weeks I can simply wipe the ink completely from the vinyl.
They also advised me to use a heating bed under my media, to make it dry faster, but I couldn't find more information about this heating process so I don't trust it that much. Do you have any idea about this?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 am

From the sounds of it extra heat may be needed to open the pores of the media to except the ink, the BN-20 only has a small heater for this purpose because of the speed it prints at, most materials require more heat at the beginning because of the speed.

If even after two weeks the ink hasn't cured then its likely not suitable for your machine and ink type.

You can get dryer's/pre heaters but these can be expensive.

I have printed UV to holographic material previously but I haven't seen an Eco solvent, which supplier does it come from?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk