BN-20 making white ink more opaque on clear vinyl

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
Ed1971

BN-20 making white ink more opaque on clear vinyl

Post by Ed1971 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 am

I have recently started using white ink so that I can print btter on clear vinyl. I have tried a few test prints and I am generally happy with what I can do. However, I was wondering whether it is possible to control the amount of ink used so that I can make the print job more opaque so that I can print lighter colors on clear vinyl. I am creating stickers and I would like to apply them to to surfaces that have marks or colors. I am using White->CMYK mode. I look forward to your feedback.

Kai Perry

Re: BN-20 making white ink more opaque on clear vinyl

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm

You can adjust the amount of White in two ways, in the profile, you can adjust the amount you use. You can also change the amount of white used in the design 0-100.

The BN-20 does not have the ability to overprint because of the lack of a heater, so you cannot increase the opacity greatly.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Ed1971

Post by Ed1971 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Kai. Thank you so much for your response. In VW, if I go to Media Explorer, it allows me to do an Overprint up to 3 times. I haven't done this yet but could this help? I am a bit concerned about overprint as it may make the CMYK colours darker as well.

With respect to controlling the white, are you referring to the Profile in Color Management under the Quality section? I am not sure how to do that yet.

I am also unsure about how to control the white in the design. Are you referring to the opacity in my design program?

Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

Ed1971

Post by Ed1971 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:55 am

I found a way to set the ink limit in Media Explorer. I assume that this is what you were referring to in one of your suggestions.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:28 am

In the design you can use the colour slider to make the white less opaque, I use this for showing percentages of white output.

The ink limits are likely the best way.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Ed1971

Post by Ed1971 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently using a Metallic configuration but I flushed the line with a cleaning cartridge and put the chip on a white ink cartridge. I continued to push white ink through until all the metallic ink was gone. I am pretty happy with the results, so far, and I will get the configuration changed during my next service. This means that I have set all my jobs as metallic in order to print white. I was wondering whether the metallic and white inks are utilised in exactly the same way e.g. same amount of ink and same options for the print mode. I currently use overprint for the white layer and then Mt -> CMYK over the top.

Also, the white is not as bright or vibrant as a white vinyl. Is this to be expected? I am comparing white on clear to a satin white vinyl.

I'd be really interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 am

The White ink will not be as White as the paper, ecosolvent White is not that bright without using overprints.

The profiles for Metallic are usually using a lot less ink than the White so you may have to alter them.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Ed1971

Post by Ed1971 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:46 pm

That makes sense. Thank you.