Canvas Printing? What kind of paper?

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
DoliCustomPrinting

Canvas Printing? What kind of paper?

Post by DoliCustomPrinting » Tue May 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Is it worth buying the Roland Canvas rolls for printing photography and fine art productions? I am wondering if it would yield good results on third party or generic canvas rolls. Does anyone have experience with both? Please let me know because canvas printing is going to be a significant part of my business. Thanks in advance :)

Dalton

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Canvas Printing? What kind of paper?

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 am

Hiya,

You sure can print on 3rd party canvas/paper/poster paper (gloss, satin, mat) with awesome results! If you haven't already seen an example of the output you'll likely be pleasantly surprised :P
Some manufacturers will have specific media profiles for their canvas materials to get the best results in terms of colour/ink limits etc.
There are a few different types/finishes of canvas that will offer different results too, with different white levels and texture/grain.

Most of the time when I have printed canvas it's pretty much putting in the media, choosing a canvas based profile and that's it - I'm happy with the results!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed May 13, 2015 10:12 am

Canvas prints benefit greatly from well made profiles (which needs a good spectrophotometer). Talk to your dealer about custom ones. Some medias will never reproduce deep colours so pick your canvas according to your need. Sometimes simple roll up media is sold as canvas, this is not the one - it may have bright colours but not a linear delivery, too much posterization etc.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

eren123

Post by eren123 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello there,
I always buy boxes of different brands and types of letter size sheet paper so I can make multiple test prints. After printing on a variety of papers for awhile, you will begin to know by looking at your image what paper will best evoke the mood you want to get across to the viewer. You will also gain a lot of knowledge about the printing workflow.
Thanks