rash like effect/ Blotchy effect everywhere

General chat on substrates, materials and inks

rash like effect/ Blotchy effect everywhere

Post by Nans » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 am

Hi Forum

I've been using some ASLAN DFP40 on my Roland vsi 300i (machine is a month old) an have noticed the following issue (image attached)

The issue im seeing is a rash like effect/ Blotchy effect everywhere...more seen on blues/ greys...

I've sent a sample print back to the supplier an they have forwarded to ASLAN to investigate...

Any ideas what the problem is?
is it a fault with the material?
or fault with the machine..?

Ive tried increasing an decreasing temp,
ive tried uni-driectional + bi-
ive tried printing high quality, standard + high-speed
None of these resolve the issue, is still see the bloth effect.

The suppler have also sent another 2 metre roll an im seeing the same issue, this was from another batch.

Ive printed on some metamark material straight after the above failed tests an its absolutely fine...

Forgot to mention...im printing on generic vinyl 1 profile'

Any idea?

Gold Member

Re: rash like effect/ Blotchy effect everywhere

Post by mrtn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:26 pm

That's a media defect. The only thing to do is to try to clean it with alcohol but it may not be enough.
Roland Dealer since 1993

Rob Goleniowski

Re: rash like effect/ Blotchy effect everywhere

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:45 am

Hi There

I think this is not necessarily a media problem, more a media profile problem and the speeds that you are trying to print...

Media profiles control the amount of ink that is printed and how quickly, as well as how hot the printer is during printing and drying. Different materials require different settings or you will get print quality issues - think of the blotting paper and fountain pen: dab the nib on the paper and the ink will bleed as more ink has been applied than can be dried without it spreading. Generic vinyl 1 will print reasonably quickly, however Generic Vinyl 2 will print slightly slower, giving more drying time for the ink between print head passes and as a result have a higher quality finish.

Strictly speaking, you should use the correct media profile for each material, however this in practice is not always possible which is why you have generic profiles in VersaWorks - so you can get close and print straight away. That said, you still need to be mindful of the "fit for purpose" aspect of what you are printing - you can't expect to print super fast and have great quality when viewed up close. My advice is print on the highest quality setting that your time will allow to get the job done to the best of your printers ability (within reason of course - I am not saying you should print a banner on high quality!) - this way, you will always end up with delighted customers who are impressed with the quality of your print work.

I hope this helps but let me know how you get on.

Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
Follow me: @goleniowski