Recently I have become a (mildly perplexed) owner of a Roland Modela MDX-20. After reviewing few instruction manuals I got myself a serial to USB adapter (Unitek) and set up a connection with the modela. I have made sure to enable hardware control and everything should be fine on software side. However:
- Both buttons "UP" and "DOWN" instead of regulating height of Z axis after pressing cause the spindle to spin for 5 seconds
- Simple instructions sent with this user made control panel https://github.com/chriskyfung/modela_m ... nel_scilab are properly interpreted and realised, same goes with manual XY positioning in Modela Player 4
- When sending toolpaths from Modela Player 4 the device moves quite differently than planned in program, adding a bunch of unnecessary movement and finishing the run after less than 4 minutes
- Reinstalled the drivers of both the machine and Unitek serial adapter
- Checked the serial cable supplied with the Modela for correct pinout with a multimeter
- Modified the settings of COM port: changed the number between 1-3, played with buffer size and so on, mostly with even less success in communicating
- Opened the case and examined the PCB and wiring - no signs of decay, the connectors looked good
- Tried to update the software on Modela (quite crazy you have to rearrange the jumper wires to do so!) but the program stated it's up to date.
Currently my only idea is to purge the PCB and proceed to install arduino board along with some controllers, but that would be counterproductive if there's any chance of preserving the device as is.
Best of wishes.