LEF blurred printing

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
casementsigns
Bronze Member

LEF blurred printing

Post by casementsigns » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi, I picked up a 2nd user LEF-12 recently. All seems great, test print perfect etc, except sometimes within the first inch of printing there will be some horizontal mis-alignment (as shown). Any ideas? Thanks.
IMG_6175.jpg

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: LEF blurred printing

Post by mrtn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Please post test print.

Sample orientation?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Did the media move?
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Post by casementsigns » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm

thanks for the replies. I'll do a test print & upload it today. The picture was taken with the print bed, so the top of the writing is towards the front of the machine.

It's possible the media moved, it was taped down but only lightly. Would that produce this kind of print defect? However, it happened again on a subsequent print onto card, which was taped down pretty firmly & I don't think would've moved.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm

To test this you need to fix a media to the table, set the height manually half a millimetre down from the media sensor (not automatically) print a, let's say, a 100 x 100 mm square (just outline) and seeing this appearing measure the square and post here.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Post by casementsigns » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:42 pm

IMG_6192.JPG
ok, here is the test print as suggested! This is on 5mm foam, securely fixed with a Roland adhesive sheet. The x-distance is 100mm as expected, the y-distance is a bit short, about 99.25mm. Does this tell us anything? Also the test print pattern shows a fair bit of drop out now (which wasn't there when I first did a test print on the machine!) which repeated manual/medium cleaning hasn't cleared up... any ideas? thanks.

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Post by casementsigns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm

it looks like the size of the stepped/blurred print area is the same as the distance the total print is undersized by... is it possible the table is snagging somehow at this point as it moves from the front to the back of the machine? If so, how would I check/correct? clean belts, cogs, etc, look for a broken tooth or similar?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm

What I would do:

Print a full width 100% CMYK blocks. I mean full width of the table split in four, let’s say 100x100 mm squares in one row printed with Sign & Display colour management setting to rule out print head problems before moving forward.

There may be a print head slow to start.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

casementsigns
Bronze Member

Post by casementsigns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm

IMG_6197 (1).JPG
I did the CMYK blocks earlier as I read that suggestion from you on another thread, that test comes out perfectly.

I have had a quick look at the belt & double gear, belt looks fine, double gear looks like it's missing a couple of teeth though, I can't imagine it's meant to be like this? Feels slightly notchy when you rotate it to that point too.

EDIT: yes, that was it. I noticed that the drive mechanism was the same as the EGX-20, which I have sitting on the shelf not doing much, and he was happy to donate his intact gear to the LEF. Perfect printing, with the 100mm square now measuring 100mm! Many thanks for your ideas & help :)

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Oh wow. Has someone ran into the table head first?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram