Safe Z / Rapid clearance on EGX 600

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
timlee

Safe Z / Rapid clearance on EGX 600

Post by timlee » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 am

Hi All,

I'm having an issue setting the safe z, aka.. Z2, cut-out, rapid clearance, or up-length on our EGX 600.

I have it in Auto-Z mode, which to my understanding means the machine ignores all Z settings/commands from any software. So I have the 'up-length' set on the control panel at 500 which equals 5mm.

This usually works well but all of a sudden it seems to ignore this number, so going between engraved areas the engraving head rises all the way to the top, then back down to engrave. As we're mostly engraving text it means a lot of unnecessary movement and takes a lot longer to engrave anything.

I've tried re-initialising the machine to defaults and changing the 'up-length' on the control panel to different numbers with no effect. Software side I've tried Dr Engrave and Vcarve. Vcarve does have settings for safe z/ Z2 but changing those numbers had no effect (it's usually set to 5mm to match the 'up-length' setting).

Any advice would be much appreciated, I've run out of ideas to try.

Thanks!

Tim

timlee

Re: Safe Z / Rapid clearance on EGX 600

Post by timlee » Thu May 09, 2019 5:51 am

After much hair tearing out I found the problem.

The diamond bit wasn't extended down enough in the collet. So the machine went down and never registered a Z0 to be able to deduct the Z2/safe Z distance. I guess it just defaults Z2 to the maximum height when it doesn't get a surface reading.

It was just very flukey (and unlucky) the engraving bit was set at the perfect height where it was still able to just touch the material and do the engraving so everything looked fine. A millimetre either way and the problem would have been obvious or none existent.

Anyway very happy things are back to normal, maybe this post will help someone else one day.