Mpx-80 No pattern when adjusting Striking force

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
TinaA

Mpx-80 No pattern when adjusting Striking force

Post by TinaA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm

We have just bought our secondhand MPX-80 which has a new head and nose cone.

The black and white images are appearing faint when engraved. I increased the min and max on the material set up when about to print, which made a slight difference but not good enough.

So decided to run the utility to adjust the striking force of the pins. It ran and I can see the letters across the top and the 'No. x'' down the right side but there is no pattern being produced that resembles the numbering to determine the adjustment values.

I didn't select any numbers on the next screen of the utility and followed the off on process and ran it again with the same result; letters but no pattern.

The nose cone it on and black knob loose. Follow up test print shows there's no improvement.

Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions? There's nothing in the manual about no pattern and nothing returned in the forum search.

Many thanks,

Kai Perry

Re: Mpx-80 No pattern when adjusting Striking force

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 am

In the material setup of the driver, not through the software, try using the Roland MD setting. Then perform the adjustment again.

Did you see output from this head before purchase?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

TinaA

Post by TinaA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi Kai,

Thanks for replying I have set the material as you suggested and ran it again but the strike pattern is still missing. The letters and pin numbers are there as normal.

Not sure what we saw was specifically from this head, we were told they had ran a few things through it before upgrading. But no way to tell if the samples etc that came with it were done with this one.

Appreciate you taking the time to help. Thank you.

TinaA

Post by TinaA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Had small break through.

I decided to run a test. I ran the adjustment, nothing showed as expected. I set pin 1 to A1, pin 2 to B2... Pin 5 to D0 set the values complete the power cycle and ran the adjustment again. An low and behold I have something a tiny bit of the pattern on pin 5. Yey!

My excitement didn't last long. I set all the other pins to D0, went through the cycle and ran the adjustment again and still only pin 5 shows a small pattern.

More testing to continue.

I'm documenting this in case is helps someone else at a later date with the same issue.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am

Perform a visual inspection of the head, remove the head and have a look at the pins, check they are all there and are all in the same position, also check the flat cable is flat with no parts risen.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk