EGX-600 and Software

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
Richard Green
Bronze Member

Re: EGX-600 and Software

Post by Richard Green » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Andrew,
It's ok I've sussed it out, for some reason the machine program mode had been moved off auto, as soon as it was switched back to auto it was fine.

Thanks and Regards
Richard
PS. There WILL be other problems :lol:
If it was all as easy as it looked!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Richard

Just a thought. Check the Others > Command mode. It should be AUTO. Then press Enter <AUTO>, then power off and make sure there are no printer job in the printer que in the PC. I did a job with Vectric yesterday, direct to the machine. Works perfect.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Vect3.JPG
Vect3.JPG (16.62 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Richard
Sorry had not seen your reply, as I did a draft at 5:20 and didnt post it till later. Glad your working now.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Hello Patrick,
Thanks for the info, yes I managed it, sometimes it's the obvious that doesn't spring to mind immediately and it occured to me while I was doing something else that the machine had two modes and might be set to the wrong one and of course it was.
So set it to auto and it's fine.
Nice see that there are so many helpful people on here from Roland, a refreshing change from other companies.
So I'm going to be cheeky and ask for some more help, regarding the EGX-600 windows driver. Today I've been trying some basic text engraving using coreldraw X5 my favourite
graphics design program, just a simple piece of text but to complicate things I want to cut a hole as well as engrave text. I think it should be easy, but it's proving not to be, well
for me at least. After doing the "design" I go to print preview and select the printer driver for the egx-600, I then go to properties and set the engraving area to match that of the drawing
and test it out and yes engraves everything. Now what I want to do is a tool change, one to engrave the text and one to cut the hole. So thinking I understood how it might work, In the drawing
I made the text outline black and the hole outline red, went back into the driver, in the tool tab, set black to do the text and the red obviously for the hole, just entered a few different parameters,
and checked pause for tool change. All it did was tell me to change the tool at the very beginning of the job and didn't engrave the text, but cut the hole. Also, changing x/y speed and z height has no effect
whatsoever. I've tried all kinds of combinations and had no success. Is there any documentation on how to properly use this driver.
Would appreciate any info.
Thanks again & Regards
Richard

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Post by Peter Kettle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 am

Hi Richard
The other possibility is that the depth vcarve is wanting to go is beyond the lower limit of the spindle. Try extending the cutter further out and resetting your Z0 (surface). If you are using the stepped collet and you cannot lower the cutter, you will need to either change the collet for a traditional round one, or put a sacrificial sheet under the material to jack it up.
Peter Kettle
Business Development Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Post by Peter Kettle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:54 am

Hi Richard
The other possibility is that the depth vcarve is wanting to go is beyond the lower limit of the spindle. Try extending the cutter further out and resetting your Z0 (surface). If you are using the stepped collet and you cannot lower the cutter, you will need to either change the collet for a traditional round one, or put a sacrificial sheet under the material to jack it up.
Peter Kettle
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 am

Hello Peter,
You've not read my previous post fully I don't think, I'm now using coreldraw X5 and want to know how to use the windows print driver for the EGX-600.
I'm using a nose to engrave the text and after a cutter change pause will be pushing the cutter through sufficiently to cut right through the 1.5 plastic.
(I make control panels.). The issue I'm having is getting the driver to pause in the correct place namely after engraving the text and also if it's possible
to tell the machine to lift the cutter higher when in auto z mode. Plus, the driver seems to ignore any x/y feed rate settings I put in.

If you have time and coreldraw, advise the best way and quickest way to do this.
Label size is 200x100mm - a line of text 4mm high 10mm above a 20mm hole centred to the label.
Very easy to do the layout on coreldraw, I just need to know how to cut it.

Regards & Thanks
Richard Green

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Post by Peter Kettle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Well, I have learnt something about our forum today - sometimes there are 2 pages to a post...

It has been a long time since I ran an engraver fron Corel, so my knowledge is a little rusty. from memory, the printer driver allows you to allocate colours to tools and then you can set speeds per colour and have a pause for changing the cutter. The colours in Coreldraw are the outline colours, not the fill colours. I don't think you can override the lift when using auto z, I think you will have to manually set surface. If I'm talking rubbish, let me know and I will have a go when I get in the office on Monday.
Peter Kettle
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello Peter,
No you're not talking rubbish at all, that's exactly how I think it should work. Problem is I can't get it to work. And the machine doesn't seem to respond to the feed speed setting, although it does respond to the spindle speed setting. I would like you to have a go if you don't mind, but only if you can spare the time. And please let me know what you find.
I will be experimenting with it tomorrow (Friday). I'm not sure how it knows which colour to start engraving, for example I would want the text engraving first and holes last after a pause for cutter change.
In my test I made sure there was an outline round my text and hole and no fill, the text was black and the hole was red. When I hit the print button a message popped up to tell me to change the cutter and it then cut the hole and didn't bother with the text at all.

Regards
Richard

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Post by Peter Kettle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Richard
Can you send me you Corel file to peter.kettle@rolanddg.co.uk. It needs to be in Corelx3 - I have not upgraded yet.
Peter Kettle
Roland DG (UK) Ltd