MPX-90 photos

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
renniwano

MPX-90 photos

Post by renniwano » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi guys.

Hope no one minds me asking here..

I have just received my MPX-90 and maybe it's because I am a sublimation printer at heart and work with colour.. but I am really struggling with photos on the test pieces I have here.. I just don't seem to be able to get the images detailed or very bright.. when I see other peoples photos of their pendants etc, their images really stand out - mine don't unless they are in a certain light.

I have spent hours looking on YouTube for video tutorials on working with photos but nothing that really explains exactly.

Maybe I am expecting too much or it's just because my head is stuck in colour mode far too much and I am just not 'getting' what makes the image engravable.

So.. does anyone have a tutorial or tips to getting the best from photos and doesn't mind sharing ? as 2am finishes aren't doing anygood :/

Thank you in advance..
Nikki

Kai Perry

Re: MPX-90 photos

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Nikki,

What impact setting are you using?

Usually the best image to work from is Black & White, if colour convert to grayscale as colour is not important.

Then use the software to remove the background or unnecessary parts

In the preview ensure that the preview colour is Black and White instead of the Yellow colours and then adjust the gamma, contrast and brightness acording the image.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

renniwano

Post by renniwano » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am

Thank you Kai

I have already changed the preview to black and white after finding a youtube video explaining that bit..

I think converting prior to using is going to help too, so thank you for that, much appreciated.

Regards changing the gamma, contrast and brightness.. my concern is how far I can take it before I lose the detail.. it says it's a wysiwyg screen but all the image seem very pale on the test plates - so think this is going to be a trial and error learning curve ?

I am using the Roland impact setting again, after watching a video as the first test plate I used brass on and still didn't seem to be very bright.

This is the first time I have seen impact engraving in the flesh, so could it be that I am expecting more from it than it gives ??

I have also noticed a few lines that are brighter when printing but hoping that is due to the lines in the test plates and will test again when I receive some stock :)

Thank you for your reply Kai, much appreciated.

renniwano

Post by renniwano » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Here's todays test..
Photo Keyring.jpg
I am really pleased with the detail.. but it is hardly visible on the keyring unless in certain light..

So, my question is..

Am I needing to up the gamma/contrast/brightness or is it the impact force *I used Roland setting*

Apologies for the questions.. because I am sure this should come naturally to my brain but seriously, it isn't lol..

louise09

Post by louise09 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:11 pm

I think your contrast is too high and your gamma to low

renniwano

Post by renniwano » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Thank you Louise.. will give it a bash changing it round :)

louise09

Post by louise09 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 am

Hi hun

Send me your image to louisecoppini@hotmail.co.uk OR via here and I will test on one of my keyrings I have here for you then will send a photo of it and advised the gammer I used xx :) xx

I did message you privately but unsure if that got sent as saying sitting in out box

50 pm

kemppi

Post by kemppi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi.

I'm new to photo printing and i got the same problem as you do ,
have you found a way to make the photos stand out more?
Mine are exactly as yours and only look good att a certaint angle\light.
I have tried to convert the pictures to greyscale in photoshop before importing them to metaza studio
and tried different settings with brightness and gamma but nothing seems to work for me.
Would be very nice if someone could share with their tips and trix.

kemppi

Post by kemppi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Anyone who can help ?

i have allready trashed about 30 tags and it feels like whatever i do i cant get the pictures to look ok.
is there anyone who has a sample picture with the right settings so that i have something to refer to?.

I realy need help with this. As it is now the machine only cost me a lot of money.

kanarinac

Post by kanarinac » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Try to decrease striking force, gama and brightnes.