egx-30 engraving quality issues

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
JUNIORASP_01

egx-30 engraving quality issues

Post by JUNIORASP_01 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 pm

i am using a dimond engraver on metal but the quality i am getting on the engraving is very poor. my images are not smooth. do i need a specific bit? or is there something i can do to get it to engrave the aluminum better??

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: egx-30 engraving quality issues

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:42 am

Hi,

Have you turned the machne into 'Score' mode - Spindle rotation off.
You will get a much better result without rotation of the spindle when engraving with a diamond.

Most diamonds should be fine, so long as they are sharp. A standard 120 degree diamond should be find for Ali and Brass, maybe if it is 90 deg then you are going too deep, or 150 deg is too shallow?
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

Jamiesama

Post by Jamiesama » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm

I work with Juniorasp. She has gotten frustrated with the machine (and we have a 2300A we are trying to get up and running as well). I took over on this process. We are currently using a Windows 7 Computer, 64 Bit. Driver is installed properly and we have a Parallel port connected to the computer as well as the EGX-30. Note this is an older machine and discontinued but still similar to the EGX-30A. I have some pictures of the quality we are getting when we are diamond dragging. We are also using DR Engrave as well as the update listed for the drivers for this model.

Basic star. Notice how there are skipping places or lines are too close to the others with the contour? We also have warped images. It makes me wonder if there needs to be a new belt? Any ideas on how this would be fixed?

Hello Kitty Design jagged lines, lines not meeting up with one another. Final contour line is warped and not even remotely close to the original vector image in DR engrave.

These were just basic shapes. A circle, and a symbol heart.

legin

Post by legin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi,

Just a quick note, have you checked if your material is flat when you are engraving also are you using a lubricant when engraving on to metals, (applying a little bit of paraffin from a spray bottle when engraving with a diamond bit helps the quality of the engraving and helps to keep your diamond head shaper for longer). Hope this is of interest to you.